Super Lightweight Twelve

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I saw this on Gunbroker and put in a small bid. Someone had already bid $100 so I couldn’t use my normal starting bid of $30.06. $223 didn’t meet the reserve, but $556 did. That was as high as I was willing to go. It looked like it was used pretty hard, but being a rare gun I thought it would go for much more. But it was mine for $490.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    recoil, Ranger6 and win7stw like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Getting it apart was the first challenge. There’s no punch hole in the receiver or notch in the ejection port. I decided to remove the cartridge stop. That worked but with no notch I needed my thinnest punch to get the pin out. Everything else was routine.

I couldn’t find my bottle of Simple Green so after taking it apart I sprayed the receiver with Goo Gone and rinsed it with the garden hose. Then I sprayed it again and rinsed with hot water. I dried it with compressed air and shot it with aviation lubricant/protectant. I did the same with the parts, which were just filthy, except instead of rinsing I threw them into a coffee can full of water boiling on the grill. I don’t have the patience I used to. This was quick, and it worked. Some of the parts had some surface rust, but 0000 steel wool fixed that.

Reassembly was a PITA. Getting the pin back in through the cartridge stop hole was easier than getting it out. But the bolt didn’t slide easily on it rails. I hadn’t dropped it or anything, but I wondered if I had somehow bent the receiver. It turns out that without the trigger plate in place, the aluminum receiver has a little spring to it. Once the plate was installed, everything worked easy.

I hate trigger plate mounted carrier springs! Sliding the plate just a little too far back trying to line up the holes and the spring slips off the carrier. Twelfth time was a charm, however.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The gun was missing some of its lock screws. They have been replaced, but after I took these photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thats a great snag. Biz just landed one of those too. The wood on it will clean up nicely
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It probably would. But I doubt that I’ll be keeping it. It’s a little short for me, and it has a full choke. I’ll shoot it tomorrow and see.
  6. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Nice buy! It wouldn’t surprise me if Brad would pay a grand for it, if you don’t like it.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Funny, he just offered me $800. It was a grand, until he saw the pictures!
    recoil likes this.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think it's worth a grand. Not like they would sell for 200 less when they are finished.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What year was that gun made?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

1972. According to S/V, that was the year they solved the flaking finish and cracking stock problems.
    [​IMG]
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am curious now to see what year my 20 gauge is. I never looked it up
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The 20 should be easy. A Browning import will have a one or two digit date code. And a World Market gun will have the date in small font before the serial number.
  13. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Anyone else notice something really special about this gun?

A straight stock on a Super Lightweight?!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Not near my book at the moment

[​IMG]
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I can’t help you with that one. Is it a Light Twenty?
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

17. antman73

antman73 .410

Congrats on that new toy! I watched it but not knowing much about it I did just that, watch. I had a similar problem after stripping and cleaning my 1929. Couldn't get the carrier to slide nice until the trigger assembily was reinstalled. Thanks for sharing.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a nice surprise. Congratulations, I really love and prefer the English stock. Was the stock shortened? I wonder what kind of "coating " is on the receiver. I am hoping to make a thread on mine next week which is double barrel set and interestingly, I have a third barrel that is similar to my set.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m not sure if it was shortened, it’s just that I saw a lot of rib when I shouldered it. I’ll compare it to some other guns later today. But last night I used it for gun mount exercises and it seemed to line up OK. So maybe it’s just me.

I like the looks of the English stock also, but I understand that their best use is on doubles with two triggers. I detest the square knob stock on an Auto-5, unreasonably since many of my other shotguns have them and I’m fine with it. But until now I had no A5 from the 1970’s because of their square knobs. Which this gun from 1972 doesn’t have.

The receiver has a “crinkle” finish of some sort. It reminds me of the paint old airplanes had on their instrument panels. S/V said they were having trouble with it flaking off until 1972. Mine looks like it was worn off in places by hard use rather than flaked. I even considered painting it, but changed my mind after I rubbed a little oil on it.

Tonight is Skeet Night, and I plan to lose big time by shooting it with its full choke. I’m hoping that the 30” barrel helps.

I’m looking forward to comparing my Lightweight to yours, Biz.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022