20 Gauge Super Lightweight

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 4, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Plans changed and I will be taking this beauty out this afternoon on a dove hunt. The marks in the checkering is dirt. She tips the scales at 5lbs 11oz with a 27.5” modified barrel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    recoil, KyBoB, antman73 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin: congrats on a beautiful purchase. Glad you got it. Good luck, you better not come home without dinner.
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Good luck! Season here started yesterday, our group of 4 shot close to 3 limits. We’re hoping for another good or better day today. The Whitewings weren’t flying until around 5:30-6:00. I was shooting a ‘63 Sweet with a Modified choke. May drag out the ‘47 with a Full choke today as they were flying really high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Very nice Justin,
    Let us know how it performs in the field. Still curious to know if the receiver is alloy. Also, I would love to see a pic of the birds you hunt in the Dakota.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc the receiver is alloy. I just put a rare earth
    magnet to it and it won’t stick. Didn’t make it out this afternoon like I wanted. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day. I don’t have any pictures of the doves but I’ll try to get some tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    recoil, KyBoB and Rudolph31 like this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Posted this on Shotgunworld too and it was brought to my attention that is has a chrome lined barrel too. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I can’t think of any reason to stamp CHROME on the barrel except to say that it’s chrome lined. But I don’t actually know that’s what it means. If it does in fact mean that, then the gun should be safe for steel shot. There’s no downside to a hard, rust resistant lining. Look what it did for the M16.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I couldn’t make out the date code on your barrel, and the serial number is no help. But there are other clues. The Morgan, Utah address was first used in 1969. But it moved to the right side of the barrel in 1977. I’m going to guess 1978, as the code looks more like a q than a p.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will take better pictures of the markings on the barrel
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    recoil likes this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well it functions really well. I tried Winchester Universal and Federal Blue Box 7/8 oz loads and it cycled fine with both. I had my little guy with so I had my head on a swivel making sure he didn’t do anything dumb while I was shooting. I missed my fair share today. A couple were taken with my straight stock 16. Could have filled out but momma was ready for the boys to get home
    KyBoB likes this.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice harvest Justin, are those doves in the picture?
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes they are mourning doves. Tasty little morsels
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

And how do you prepare those little tasty morsels. Are they appetizers?
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I normally throw a little salt and pepper on them and grill them. My other favorite is making jalapeño dove poppers
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Barrel markings for Rudolph
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    recoil likes this.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I give up. I can’t make out that date code. At least, I can’t make it look like anything that agrees with the barrel address date range. But I have a theory.

I think that barrel was new, old stock when they decided to export it to the US. Because it says ACIER SPECIAL instead of SPECIAL STEEL. So it could have been sitting around FN for a few years before they stamped the Browning address on it and shipped it over.

If anyone has a better explanation, I’d like to hear it.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    win7stw likes this.
  18. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Made a dozen poppers tonight though we call em Diablo’s. Cut a jalapeño in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and insides. Fill it with cream cheese then lay on a breast filet and wrap it with 1/2 slice of bacon. Put a toothpick through to hold it together and grill or bake. Pure happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I like your theory
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t anymore. Looking at my notes, I noticed that when the address moved to the right side, SPECIAL STEEL went away, and all barrels were marked ACIER SPECIAL. So I’m comfortable with 1977 or later. But until someone deciphers the date code, that’s as close as I can get.