Cartridge Stop

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Why don’t you move here?

I’ve got one other Auto-5 with a Cutts, a 1930 12 gauge. It seems to be soldered on too.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Rudolph I promise not to divert or hijack your post anymore. That’s pretty interesting how both your cutts are done that way. All others I have noted use the adaptor setup. Yours are very neatly done and look good with the spreader. About to go down the path of fitting one up myself on a resto and save a damaged barrel for a new life ,so good info and images thanks The prices of them and chokes, boxes etc have certainly gone up considerably.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Don’t worry about it, Auzzie. This thread is stalled until I start working on my gun again. I’ve had the new part for two days but there seems to be a lot going on here at the house. Today I had the time, but took a nap instead.

I’m impressed that you recognized the spreader choke. When I bought it it just had a gaping hole where the choke should go. The 16 came with a modified, which I think looks cool, but it’s too tight for my purposes. Once again Numrich had the needed part.

[​IMG]
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Back to work. It seems there was a significant change in the shape of the part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That’s the new part on top. Well, nothing’s ever easy.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

However, the intent all along was to refurbish the original. Here you can see the wear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If my friend can build up the old shell stop 30/1000” I believe I’ll be back in business.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hard to see where your measuring in the pic, the stop is angled a little different, with no clear pic of the worn area, but where your measuring isn't where my shells were hanging up, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s the part that sticks out the window. The reverse side is hit by the barrel extension to make it seesaw in and out. And it’s worn down, allowing the stop to extend when it shouldn’t.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I see said the blind man. got it now, gonna dig my old one out if I can find it and measure. Think now that mine was worn also, not as bad and I compensated on the wrong end.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I loaded up some short shells and went to the range this afternoon. Though I couldn’t measure a difference between the 1931 and ‘35 parts, it fired 25 rounds without a hiccup.
  11. Ranger6

Nice job sir!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There’s a section in the Field Service Manual that I’d missed. It does say how to adjust the Cartridge Stop and it does say to bend it.

[​IMG]

Now I’m not sure if mine is actually worn, or they changed the dimensions on the new parts and mine just needs to be bent.
  13. Ranger6

Well it seems to be good if you shot it with out issue. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The donor part is going back in the 1935. My jeweler friend has the original, and he’s going to build up a little material at the wear marks. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try bending it.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, it was a skeet night and my friend came through — the cartridge stop has been repaired. He only added .004” but it fired two boxes with no failures. If it wears down again I’ll try bending it.

By the way, I’ve started keeping track of the various repairs and replacements by writing it on a note and stashing it in the lightening hole in the stock. There are too many of these things to remember what’s been done to what.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  16. Ranger6

Glad it’s fixed and running right. Sucks having an auto 5 down.
    Rudolph31 likes this.