Cartridge Stop

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I brought my 1931 Grade 2 with the short barrel and Cutts Compensator to Skeet Night a few weeks ago. Two guys complained about the noise. Since these guys were the two Liberals, I decided never to bring anything else.

[​IMG]

But last week the shells kept hanging up on the Cartridge Stop, irritating everybody, including me. Yesterday I removed it and the one on a 1935 16 that I knew worked. I thought the surface that rubs on the barrel had worn, but I couldn’t see or measure any difference between the two.

The FSM mentions an improperly adjusted Cartridge Stop, but doesn’t tell you how to adjust it. I swapped the parts, we’ll see if there’s an improvement. I also ordered a new one from MGW.

Has anyone worked on or adjusted this part? I’m wondering if it can be bent…
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

There is a difference in shape for some years. Not sure which, not my forte, but my 36 had a similar issue. I took a fine file to it, and it works like a charm.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A file? My original plan was to add metal, not take any off. It’s supposed to go back flush when the barrel goes back into battery. The fact that it’s not makes me think it’s worn down.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Where would you add metal? Mine was just barely hitting the rim of the shell on the inside. So I guess it was not allowing the stop to be flush.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
    That bit on the right is what you see in the window on the left side of the receiver. The opposite side is pushed by flush by the barrel extension when in battery. There’s a spring in there to push it out when the barrel is retracted.

My thought is that the part is worn where it contacts the extension, allowing the cartridge stop to extend just enough to cause stoppages.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]It’s LOUD.
    win7stw likes this.
  7. Ranger6

Yes that’s the one. The rim of the shell was getting caught on the edge.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It’s supposed to. Except when it’s not. So you cured it by removing metal, and it still catches the shell at the appropriate time?
  9. Ranger6

Yep. It wasn’t much. And I agree it’s suppose to until not, but it shouldn’t get stuck. My shells were getting stuck.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m going to measure the new one, then build up the old part by welding and file it to size. Well, my jeweler friend will weld it. Those guys are magicians with small parts.
  11. Ranger6

Thought you already measured one and found no difference?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I measured a 90 year old part and an 86 year old part. Could be they were both worn, but only one was giving me trouble so far.
  13. Ranger6

I’m not home right now, but I will measure a new one Sunday. When will you have your new one?
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I ordered it yesterday, so probably Monday. I was too lazy to drive the 45 miles.

Don’t take your gun apart, I’ll have the part soon enough. But thank you.
  15. Ranger6

I have many spare parts, I’m sure I have one of those. 12-16 ?
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

16, and it’s coming today!
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  17. Ranger6

Ok awesome. Keep us posted.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Rudolph , I like the beginning opening tale about the two guys complaining about excessive noise at a gun range!
    Really. They are at a gun range for a start, heaven forbid ,with hearing protection on. I would make a point of keeping them both always on the right so the empties annoy heck out of them too.
    Good luck getting it sorted
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you, Auzzie. It seemed ridiculous to me also. Great idea about hitting them with my empties, but they eject at a 45 degree angle.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s interesting that picture of your cutts. Normally they have a machined adaptor sweated onto the barrel first and threaded into the gill body with grub retainer so you can unscrew easily to clean crap out the gills.Yours looks to have no adaptor and straight on sweat fit to barrel most unusual.
    Regardless the cutts is period cool fixture and been way round longer than those nit wits at your range. I would be exactly like you and make it my mandatory go to piece for anytime those guys are around.
    Rudolph31 likes this.