X prefix 16’s

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looking at the pictures, I now see that the bolt has a partial serial number on it.
  2. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Too bad it had a poly choke installed
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m pretty sure that one’s been reblued. But should make a nice shooter for somebody.
  5. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

Yeah i'm not a fan of the poly choke either. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I DO like Poly-Chokes on shooters. They smooth the swing like the currently fashionable 30”+ barrels. And of course it’s very convenient to change chokes.
  7. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

I imagine they would present a convenience factor on a shooter but I could never get over the looks of one. I'm probably too hung up on looks.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am with you. However I might have to have one just for nostalgia
  9. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The topic of Poly Chokes and Cutts Compensators came up here not too long ago. It might have even been in this very thread......

Personally, either a Poly or Cutts on an A5 doesn't bother me at all. Most were installed way back when, and are a literal part of the history of that particular gun. From a practical point of view, maybe they do affect the swing. I can't notice it, so that specific issue is pretty well subjective. I don't even "see" it when bearing down on a clay bird. They are a fair bit easier to change from one choke setting to another-- which came be done in an instant, as opposed to having to grab a different choke tube, or choke wrench, and digging through the other chokes in your pocket or pouch. Or having to change an entire barrel for that matter....... So there is that.
    From a cosmetic perspective- some people do not likes the looks of one out there hanging off the end of the barrel. I can respect that opinion. But, keep in mind, there are people out there that think they are an integral part of the Browning A5 history. (Even though neither Cutts, or Poly Choke was an actual Browning item.)
    There are many many older A5s with these things. It was a good idea back then, and still not a bad idea now. I own a few A5s, and will own many more-----(it's a curse I tell ya'....) and do not, and will not turn down an A5 based simply on whether or not it has either a Poly Choke or a Cutts. It's still an A5!!!!!!1
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As Bill said, they’re a part of the history. I was a kid when I saw my first Auto-5 and it had a Poly-Choke on it. That unusual looking shotgun was a mystery to me for many years, and when I decided to get one I wanted it to look like that gun I saw back in the 60’s.

In another thread I talked about the Double Auto that I re-barreled with one that was Poly equipped. Not because I needed the convenience but because I couldn’t shoot it worth a damn. That weight forward made all the difference.