X prefix 16’s

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 2, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

As promised here are some pictures comparing my X prefix guns. According to S/V and this thread the only year the X prefix guns were unmarked was 1947:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=297760

However I have seen a 1948 gun that was an unmarked sweet and it had Browning Arms Company St Louis Mo on the left hand side of the receiver. The only thing I can come up with is that it was a left over receiver?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

What I like about the Browning auto-5, it like doing taxonomy. You look at the morphological description to classified your specimen and suddenly there is an exception. Good observation Justin and nice pics.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    win7stw likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice. Don’t have one with the “ X” serial number yet.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Every collection needs one. I need a marked X Sweet with a sliding safety and an X marked Sweet with a cross bolt safety
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hey I’m not picky. I will take either one. But of course both would be better. I’m on the search for a 16 gauge hammer gun at the moment, but if one of the x prefixes shows up I will have to have it too.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

You’re probably right Justin, they used the leftover receiver. How many of those beautiful 16 gauge do you have if I may ask?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have two X prefix 16’s. I have 5 other 16 Auto 5’s
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am currently working a deal on two others as well
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice, do you have other caliber in the auto 5?
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc I have some 12’s. I need a few 20’s and a first year 16
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

It look like you’re collecting. May be you can line up your auto-5 and take a pic for Browning’s friends. Good luck with finding a first year 16 gauge. I am still dreaming of finding a first year 12 gauge with the marking on the bottom of the receiver
  12. Ranger6

Got you there buddy. First year 16 is sweet. Just loaded some 2 1/2 for it again tonight. Hope to enjoy this weekend. Gun range still open here. Essential of course
  13. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I need to stop watching this thread!! I have promised myself for decades to NOT go down the 16 gauge road (as far as A5s). I know sure as heck if I jump off and buy one.......it'll be just like me as 12 gauge A5s. I do NOT need another 30 16s. That's why I am kind of glad the short-chambered 16s are almost impossible to find ammo for. Otherwise I probably couldn't fight off the urge.
    I am not well versed at all regarding the 16 gauge family. Without bragging, I know my way around the 12 gauge A5 pretty good, but again, the 16s are somewhat uncharted territory for me.

I can predict the future though..... Sure enough, one day I'll walk past one at a gun show ( if they ever allow gun shows again.....) and just like my second 12 gauge A5, a 16 will whisper to me it's lonely and will beg me to adopt it. It's happen before, and it'll happen again. Then...........like the 30 or so 12s--

So. In simplistic terms---16s (short chambered ones) started way back when, only a handful of years after they started A5s. Then in the late 30s they were offered in a light, or soon-to-be--named the "Sweet Sixteen", but somewhere in that time frame Browning made "standard" (2 3/4") chambered models that weren't marked "Sweet Sixteen". Eventually standard 16s were phased out, and a Sweet Sixteen was the only 16 offered. And I thought the history behind the 12s was confusing.......

I am talking myself into this...back away from the keyboard Bill.......
  14. Ranger6

FYI Bill
    To help you along, 2 1/2 inch shells are very easy to come by. Several places sell them and you can always make them. Super easy and 16 gauge shells load really nice.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I did NOT need to know that.
  16. Ranger6

Hey just putting it out there. Would hate to see you not have a short chambered 16 just because of some shells. Anything to help a fellow A5 guy.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Shhhh Ranger. Bill told me he’d let me know if he finds a nice short chambered gun for me.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc when the weather gets nice I will line them up outside and take a picture of them for you. I have posted most of them. Mine small collection isn’t anything special.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I checked S/V the other day, it says the elimination of the receiver address began in 1948 and continued into 1949. We can infer that it was replaced by the SWEET SIXTEEN engraving or the border scroll. So I suppose it would be possible to find an unmarked Sweet from 1949. I have one from 1948:

[​IMG]

1948 was also the year the circled R replaced the words TRADE MARK. My gun has that change but not the other.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice gun Rudolph. I am almost positive a gentleman on 16ga.com has an unmarked sweet. I will see if I can find it