What determines a "vintage" shoot?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by SuperposedFanboy, Oct 23, 2023.

1. The requirements to be called vintage are a "moving target" depending on the item. Furniture: 50-100 years (older than 100 is an antique). Clothing: anything older than 20. I've seen literature that state vintage guns are those produced prior to 1898. Some vintage shoots only require SxS/pump field models to qualify.

The reason I ask...I own a "51 Superposed (older than me!) and a '67 Superposed. No longer widely manufactured but available as a custom. Does that qualify them as being vintage? Would a friendly club shoot using guns older than 50 (or 60 or 70) qualify as a vintage shoot?

Opinions and your experiences sought!
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well according to the all-knowing Google: Most antique dealers consider an item to be vintage if it is at least 40 years old. So, in the context of this blog date, a vintage item would be made between 1918 and 1978. Even though many vintage items are nostalgic, they are sought after for many reasons besides their age. This includes decorating and collecting.

When I think of vintage shoot, I think external hammers and SXS
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

When I think vintage I am haunted by the possibility of coming up against a determined 84 yr old gent who made me sweat 7 1/2 lead pellets all over the skeet field in the shootoffs. Lol
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Seriously I think pre WW2 I think vintage
  5. Both valid points. With what little searching I've done, it seems that in the US, hammers & SxS guns are the norm at these shoots. Pre-WW2...yup, that's a good marker.

Auzzie, I feel your pain. My first day of trap at the club I just joined found me on the line with a gent on a stool and another in a wheelchair. I don't think they left a bird unbroken. I slinked off with head down. LOL
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s what makes sport of busting Clays so good. Its the great equaliser. Age, Man , Woman, Child or Impaired everybody is on the same footing.

You find yourself a nice old SXS out there you can shoot your in business..
    They are an acquired taste with lot of character , feel and fit required to shoot them well. Totally different beast and sight picture.

I personally can’t hit crap with one but have never picked up or shot one that actually fits or feels right to me.. They are light being field orientated gun and I don’t handle recoil well.
    Your world over there have lots of SxS and dedicated pump comps as side events to major tournaments so you find the right thing your set for lot of fun.