Value of a Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by PLYMOUTH1968, Aug 26, 2020.

1. PLYMOUTH1968

PLYMOUTH1968 Copper BB

What would be the value of this Jap Sweet 16? It’s a 26 inch barrel with a vent rib. Also has the Invector barrel. Somebody did mark the side of the receiver with there initials has seen by the pics. Also has had swivel studs added. Overall in good shape shoots excellent does have some scratches etc... but nice. Would just like a idea on value. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PLYMOUTH1968

PLYMOUTH1968 Copper BB

More pics

Attached Files:

3. PLYMOUTH1968

PLYMOUTH1968 Copper BB

Believe it was made in 1988
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I sold on in near mint condition with 28” barrel for $1000 a few years ago. With the initials and sling studs I’d say 600-700
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Rudolph will correct me if I’m wrong
  6. PLYMOUTH1968

PLYMOUTH1968 Copper BB

I’ve been told the Invector barrel goes for $700-$750 alone
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

To the right person they will go for that. Same goes for Belgium guns, people pay ridiculous amounts of money for parts. Lots of times a gun sells cheaper than if it was parted out.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Invector barrel will bring about 600. Invector plus more in the 700 range. That’s on a good day where it gets involved in a bidding war between people. If it’s listed at a starting bid of 700 it won’t sell. Lots of people just can’t handle someone else getting something they want. In my opinion the sling studs don’t subtract much. The initials on the other hand make it a 200 gun. Now if John Browning has his on a gun and it could be verified then the sky is the limit.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The sixteens never had Invector Plus chokes. I agree with everything else. I’d put it on Gunbroker and watch people get dumb
    Ranger6 likes this.
  10. PLYMOUTH1968

PLYMOUTH1968 Copper BB

I’m keeping it just wanted some opinions. The gun is worth more than $200
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Not to a collector like most guys here. I’m sticking to the 600-700
  12. PLYMOUTH1968

PLYMOUTH1968 Copper BB

And I don’t care if your a collector or not the gun is worth more than $200. I’m not saying it’s worth $1000 or anything like that but it’s worth more than $200. I can see where some people are collecting and wouldn’t buy it because of the intials I get that also.
  13. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Win7 you are correct. My brain was thinking 16, but fingers were thinking 12.
  14. Ranger6

Plymouth wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings, that’s why I said I’m my opinion. You can get a very nice sweet 16 for 1000 if you look. It won’t have initials on it. You can get a worn sweet for 700 probably all original, and right now with so many out of work maybe 600-650. Guns are always the first to go when bills need to be paid. So put another 4-500 and you got an original with no initials. A gun with initials will never be more, no matter how much you spend on it, unless they can be removed. A gun value is what someone is willing to pay. Not a cent more. That don’t mean it’s fair market value. Most times it means the person selling is looking and hoping for a sucker that hasn’t done his research. That’s pretty much gun broker or any other auction site. If the initials don’t bother you, then shoot the shit out of it. It’s a great gun. Most people will shy away from one with initials.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t think there’s much collector value in Japanese guns, their value is in utility. And it doesn’t get much better than a steel-safe Sweet Sixteen with screw-in chokes. So the initials don’t hurt near as much. I think the gun would go for $1200. But that opinion is just from watching Gunbroker auctions, not personal experience. If it were mine, I’d let Art get rid of the initials for me.