Trigger Springs

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A couple of weeks ago I’d run out of 12 gauge ammunition so I grabbed my 1961 Light Twenty. I couldn’t believe how light and handy it felt after swinging that standard 12. But after about one box of ammo the safety started engaging during recoil which was very annoying.

I took it home and disassembled the trigger plate. It had been a while since I’d last done that to an Auto-5 with a cross bolt safety, and never to one with the new fangled spring without the “ears”. I had to look at the directions. I bent the trigger spring and made it worse, so I bent it the other way and it seemed to work.

But re-installation was a PITA! I seemed to remember Art talking about some trick, but I didn’t have the time or the inclination to go and search for it. These new springs are held by a tiny pin that needs to go on top but really prefer to go underneath. I got it in correctly on one side, but that damned spring kept the pin from aligning with the opposite hole. Then I bent the pin. I was able to remove it, straighten the pin, and eventually get it re-installed.

I left it like that for the night.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The next day I needed to go to Art’s for some work on my Winchester Model 12. Nick told us to go to lunch and it will be done when you get back. Such great guys. Anyway, I told Nick what a time I’d had wrestling with the trigger spring and he showed me how to use the mainspring as a lever. He also sold me a couple of new trigger springs and their easily damaged pins.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I got home I looked at my old spring and noticed that there was something missing — these new springs have a middle finger that depresses the detent ball. Mine had broken off.

[​IMG]

I didn’t notice because except for the missing ears it looked just like the older variety. But here it is next to a new one:

[​IMG]

So I removed the one I’d spent so much time on and installed the one I’d gotten from Nick in about two minutes.

Hopefully this will keep someone else from repeating my mistakes.
    [​IMG]
    Ranger6 and Abbeville like this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I learned this about 2 months ago on a Amercian browning, but it was 20 ga. Yes, that little finger has a purpose, ask me how I know. Sure, would have been nice to have this tip then.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

How about some pictures of that vise?
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This thing? It came with an inexpensive workbench I bought at Harbor Freight.

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I thought I’d post a picture of a pre-1958 trigger spring. These are no longer available, at least not from Midwest Gun Works, so if you need to use the new style you’ll have to drill a hole in your trigger plate to accommodate the retention pin.

[​IMG]
  8. Ranger6

I will have to go check that out. I like it. Those paper hulls need loaded, just saying
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Those paper hulls need loaded, just saying.

Yeah, and they’re 65mm. But I get a lot of case-head separations when I reload paper hulls. So I’m a little leery.
  10. Ranger6

Interesting, is that on the first reload or after multiple? Are you using fiber wads? I just loaded some Winchester super x with unique and think I will get 3 reloads out of them. I used fiber wads.
  11. recoil

recoil .410

Very interesting and helpful thank you. Steve!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I used the SG16 wad which fit very well. The case-head separations occurred with brand new Cheddite paper hulls after their second loading. I can’t remember if these did it, but because of their age I’m a little concerned. They were old when I got them and have been reloaded and fired once.

[​IMG]
    The X designates a spreader load.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  13. Ranger6

Ok I got you now. Yes, those are the ones I loaded also. Win7stw sent them to me with some old wads he had no use for. I rewaxed them and loaded them. They shot ok and broke targets. I worry about the base wad coming lose and getting stuck in the barrel, so I only us them in break open. Pretty cool stuff but agree got to be careful. They make a good conversation piece on the skeet field. Young shooters ask me last weekend, " where can I get some of those", they are way cool. They both had never seen a paper shell before. I doubt they had ever seen or heard of the "felton blue streak" either.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, neither have I. Heard of the Felton blue streak, that is.

All of my 16 gauges are Auto-5’s. And most of those are 65mm. Fortunately, all of the case-head separations left the hull in the chamber, preventing the next shell from loading. I’m not sure if I was just lucky.

I’d probably quit with the paper hulls altogether but I like the way way they take to the Hartin Crimp. I don’t have the patience for roll crimping.
  15. Ranger6

Ok you got me, corrected. In my defense no coffee this morning. I just fold crimp mine.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So what’s the Felton Blue Streak?
  17. Ranger6

Fiber wads from the 50-60’s. They were made by Alcan. Thought you were just pulling my leg. They were the best fiber wad ever made. How about the kwik-sert. Got some of those too. Man the old days. I was born 30 years to late.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

We used fiber wads reloading shells at my high school gun club. When I started loading for my 16’s 40+ years later, one piece plastic wads were the thing. I think it’s an improvement.

But I see where you’re coming from. I like old airplanes and old guns. I’m even starting to like old people, probably because I’ve become one.
    Auzzie, Ranger6 and Abbeville like this.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Me too. A Hartin Crimp is just a fold crimp on top of an overshot card. As you can see from the photo, stack height isn’t an issue.
  20. Ranger6

I'm going to have to try that crimp. Looks to be less fuss when reloading.
    Rudolph31 likes this.