Synthetic stock 1923 16 gauge?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by EastonTexas, Dec 24, 2019.

1. EastonTexas

EastonTexas Copper BB

Anyone change the wood to synthetic on one this old? Wood ain't in good shape but still planned on keeping it as well. But was curious about this?
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Every once in awhile I will see synthetic stock/forearms for A5s laying on tables at gun shows. Usually relatively cheap. I think there used to be more than one manufacturer of them. As long as your A5 isn't a straight stock, I would imagine a synthetic set made for the 16/20 gauge should work. Good luck on finding one. (Admittedly, even though synthetic might be harder to find, they will still be cheaper than finding a good set of period correct wood ones.)
  3. EastonTexas

EastonTexas Copper BB

Attached Files:

4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have never seen a straight stock synthetic replacement for an A5. That doesn't mean none are/were made, just that I have never seen one. I ended up finding a relatively inexpensive aftermarket walnut stock for a "regular" newer pistol gripped A5, and removed the grip portion of the stock. I had to drill out the stock retaining hole (as the hole is in a different location on a pistol gripped stock as opposed to a straight stock), removed a little extra surrounding wood, and essentially bedded the area with epoxy filler, re-drilling the hole in the appropriate new location. It was a considerable amount of work, but turned out really good (IMVHO).