Super Alleige Chrome A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jock Cartwright, Apr 24, 2020.

?

As per pictures above, what detail is this engraving?

1. Grade 1 detail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Grade 2 detail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Biz

Biz 20g

May I ask you which book you refer to?
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

It is in France, doesn’t seem to be signed and I am trying to find the engraver name. The asking price is 9000,00$ plus air cargo freight (labeled as dangerous good, I am sure you’re familiar with all that Rudolph) plus French bureaucracy. If you have a vague concept of the word bureaucracy, you will quickly and painfully learn what it means.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Europeans love a bloated bureaucracy, Biz. Why else would they have two, one in each capitol and another in Brussels? Although I will give the Belgians credit, they conquered all of Europe without firing a shot.

Oh, $9000 is just nuts. Plus the red tape. To quote a famous movie producer, “You can include me the f**k out!” Are firearms dangerous goods? I’ll look it up and get back to you, but I don’t think so.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Those were the auction photos, Ranger. So if you have the missing screw, you must be the seller. I’ve since replaced it, but feel free to send me the original.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This book, Biz. I can’t believe you don’t have a copy.

[​IMG]
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Me either. It’s a great resource. Plus some of the guns in it make my loins stir
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Biz, under our regs, Dangerous Goods (HAZMAT) are Combustible, Corrosive, Infectious, Oxidizing, or Poisonous. Firearms are none of the above. Whoever you talked to either doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or wants to charge you a separate fee.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  8. Jock Cartwright

Jock Cartwright Copper BB

God bless America!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank you Rudolph, but I believe to rules a different in Canada. It may be not a dangerous good, but it is treated as a dangerous good. I will double check with Air Canada.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

Of course I have that book, it is on my night table. I just didn’t know which book browning90va was referring to and I don’t recall to have seen that number one on top of the serial number refer to grade one. It would be very kind of him to tell me on which page he read that
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I looked up the SAC series in S/V. One short paragraph, and the information can be interpreted two ways as it pertains to engraving styles. And I interpreted it a different way in two different posts on Shotgunworld. One way is that the SAC series was only available with Type IV and V engraving. The other, and I think the correct way, is that all Types were available, but only Types IV and V had the hard chrome finish.

Here is the other post:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=443364&hilit= Allege

The OP’s gun isn’t like the one discussed here either, as it doesn’t have the SA prefix.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

Rudolph this is confusing for me,
    SAC means Super Allégé Chrome or super light Chrome. I believe chrome is a kind of metal coating?
    If all type are available and SAC (Super Allégé Chrome) it mean all type are chrome plated. Are type 1,2 and 3 chrome or silvery color?
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Confusing to me too, but I don’t work in marketing. But as I understand it, in 1958 FN produced two new types, the Super Light (Super Allege) and the Super Allege Chrome.

The Super Lights had an alloy — which I suppose is an aluminum alloy — trigger guard. Later they featured an aluminum receiver as well. These guns had an SA prefix to the serial number.

The Super Allege Chrome, as far as I can tell didn’t have any special alloy parts. They did have high grade engraving, but only those engraved with Type IV or V had the Chrome finish. And, they had an SAC prefix.

Calling a gun Super Light Chrome without making it super light or giving it a chrome finish makes absolutely no sense whatever. Either S/V got the details wrong, or the marketing department at FN was run by the Marx Brothers.

If anyone can interpret the data more clearly, I’d like to hear it.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I forgot to answer your question, Biz. Yes, chrome plating gives metal a bright silver finish that is also very hard and corrosion resistant.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

Why don’t we ask SGTmaddox to weigh is SAC. We can compare with an "ordinary" auto-5
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Maybe my friend Gibier will ask.
  17. Biz

Biz 20g

Just a thought. May be SAC doesn’t mean Super Allégé Chrome. It might be related to light color as opposed to light weight. When the FN translate SAC by Super light Chrome can the light refer to light-colored Chrome. At the page 176, they refer to the weight by using the term Super Lightweight.
    Note: I edited the text from yesterday.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As far as I know, S/V did the translating, and they could well be in error. Because this doesn’t make any sense. Anthony Vanderlinden is a member here, maybe he’ll clear this up for us.
  19. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello Rudolph, I talked to Gibier and he told me that he wrote to SGTmaddox
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. Martin Miller.

Martin Miller. Copper BB

I'm a little late here, but is this gun for sale and who do I talk to if it is?

Thanks for any assistance.