Should serial numbers match?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by murphranch, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes but serial number is easier to date the receiver at least. The serial number should be on receiver just ahead of where you load into magazine tube. Those show chamber size. Proof codes. You can do a search for Belgium proof codes. What exactly are you looking to find out?
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. antman73

antman73 .410

Was just wondering if theres anything that can be made of the codes. It has a G4 above the serial number so if I'm right it's a 1964. As I said I'm just trying to learn some history on it. Thanks for the reply Ranger6.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Is it G4 or 4G? Well the 12-70 in oval says 12 gauge with 2 3/4 chamber. The pv is proof for smokeless powder. Should be a choke size somewhere on there. And weight of barrel. Rudolph31 knows all this by heart. I’m sure he will answer soon.
  4. antman73

antman73 .410

Yes I said G4 but it's 4G. I love the gun but have only shot 00Buckshot out of it for the most part. I don't hunt anymore but found a nice trap range close to home. Can't wait to see how it handles some light shot. Thanks again for the info.
  5. Ranger6

Ok makes sense. Yes 1964. Had it been the other way would have been a little older. I’ve never shot buckshot out of one myself. Have done slugs and lots of lead shot. Not really much for smooth bore slug gun, since I have gold with riffled barrel.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, there are a lot of marks on this barrel that I don’t know, 52 1947 for instance. I’ve never seen anything like that before. They look like dates, but this gun is from the 60’s.

The proof marks are pretty standard, though I still have to look up the spellings. 12-70 as you said is the gauge and chamber length in millimeters. There’s the provisional proof on the bottom; as I understand it, that mark shows the barrel passed its first test.

ELG = Eprueve de Liege or Proof of Liege. This is the final acceptance stamp.

PV = Poudre Vive or Live Powder. And as you said, Smokeless.

The */D is the government inspector in charge of the proofing.

The underlined C is the date code for 1964.

There should also be Le Perron stamped on the barrel and extension. There’s a monument in Liege by that name and the stamp looks like the statue. Prior to 1963-4 it was also stamped on the bolt and receiver. It indicates that the breeching system was successfully tested.
    antman73 likes this.
  7. antman73

antman73 .410

Rudolph31 thats a lot of info. Thank you. You and Ranger6 have been very helpful. Just a side note theres no serial number on the loop where the recoil brass ring sits.