Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bruce Ingram, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Bruce Ingram

Bruce Ingram Copper BB

I am hoping to get some feedback from you all about a possible dent/deformation on the hump back of my "new to me" '65 Auto-5. I hope the pics are clear enough, but just inside the humps perimeter... there seams, to me anyways; that the hump is dented outwards a little. I'm wondering what could cause this? The bolt slamming back into the reciever? Should I be worried or am I clear to shoot

Attached Files:

2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I can barely make out what looks to be the rear face of the receiver being pushed outwards. That is due to too heavy of loads, way too heavy as a matter of fact, being run through the gun with the recoil spring system set for light loads. An occasional heavy load isn't a really big deal, but as this particular receiver shows-----a steady diet of them will ultimately cause exactly what you have going on there. I have seen three guns over the years that were constantly fired without a BFR (bronze friction ring) at all, just the recoil spring. That rear face was much worse than yours.
    If things have been shuffling around hard enough to "dent" the receiver, I can only imagine the innards have an equal amount of drama going on. I would yank the whole thing apart and do a close inspection!!
    Rockher_man, Auzzie and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d like to see better pictures. Take an up close picture from the side
    Rockher_man likes this.