Shotgun for newbie shooting trap and skeet.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Tim Lange, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Tim Lange

Tim Lange Copper BB

I have been invited to a trap and skeet fun shoot, just need to have a shotgun. I know nothing! I have a pistol, starting shooting pistols last year. Shot my dad's semi-auto 16 gauge about 50 years ago. Remember it has a knob at the end of barrel to adjust choke.

Gal that invited me says to get an under/over or semi-auto 12 gauge and bring steel shot. Was at Dicks yesterday, the sales boy was not helpful, saw Beretta's for $700. Could not find steel shot on the shelf, nothing was marked so assumed lead.

Your thoughts for a newbie for a shotgun for trap and skeet?

Best,

Tim.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 20g

If you’re not sure that you’re going to stick to this sport, I’d opt for something cheap like a Mossberg 500. It’s a pump, but it’s reliable and you’ll be able to hit with it. Stay away from inexpensive Over/Under’s; if you decide to get one later, buy a quality gun like a Browning or a Beretta.

Steel or other non-toxic shot is required in the US for waterfowl hunting. SOME ranges also require it — I’d avoid those, if possible. You’ll need # 7 1/2 or 8 size shot, it might not be easy to find in steel; ask your girlfriend where she gets hers.