Older Hi Power date of manufacture

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by ks114, Jan 15, 2023.

1. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

[​IMG]Good morning. I bought an older Hi Power online. The serial number is 38185. I have pics of the markings but can’t seem to post them. Can anyone give me a ballpark DOM?
  2. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

Good morning...

No.
    No one can give you even a ballpark date without a bunch more info! It could be from 1952, pre-war, a special contract or other period.

This forum seems to be difficult to add photos to. If you repost your request at this link, you will find it fairly simple to add photos using the paperclip icon in the toolbar at the bottom of the reply box.

Please include a full photo of each side of the pistol, an idea of the what the sights look like, and any marks you can find on the slide and frame. Really clear/in focus closeups are best.

I would add pics of what I'm looking for... but am unable to do so here!

Look a this thread, post #8 for pictures.

Cheers,

Tim
  3. ks114

ks114 Copper BB

I posted on there
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

5. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

Good estimation Rudoph!
    I am guessing Second Quarter 1952

A link to my reasoning at this link.

Cheers,

Tim
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s very interesting, Tim. But these date codes are different than the ones I’m familiar with. Do you have a list?
  7. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

I do have a list... it had been published in the Vanderlinden or Stevens book. Other lists (Belgian Proof Marks) I had seen with odd cursive charterers were inaccurate and useless for High Powers. It works best for decoding pistols from the '50s. As time went on, fewer marks were left even though marks were designated.

I would post it here... if I could post picture!

Put your email address here and I can email an image of the list. Edit to remove you email address after I capture it. I am receiving notifications for this thread...

Cheers,

Tim
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You can, just need to use photo sharing site to do so.
  9. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

I don't use a photo sharing site... it's much easier to email or post on a forum that allows attaching pictures directly.

Cheers,

Tim
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

well hopefully we will get that feature back once the update is completed, but at least there are options should you want to use them.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Received from Soundguy:

[​IMG]
    ks114 likes this.