New Member from Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by DB Williams, Jun 1, 2023.

1. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

Hello All, I am a Browning user/collector and found this site doing a little research on the internet. I am a 3rd generation lover of all things Browning. I look forward to reading the forum threads and interacting with fellow enthusiasts. My earliest recollection of Browning, was my Father and Grandfather’s Green Kangaroo hunting boots!
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir. Thanks for joining. Please let me know if you need any assistance.
    DB Williams likes this.
  3. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

Thank You Sir, for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning more information about my small Browning collection through this forum!
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very welcome. I hope you have an auto 5 in that collection. If not we can get you up to speed. Good group of folks here, always willing to help.
    DB Williams likes this.
  5. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

I have several A5’s including a “rare” one. I know you’ve never heard that before!
  6. Ranger6

Ok now you got my attention, so of course we need some pictures please. If you have issues posting pictures there is a post about it, if you need someone to post for you, you can send to me and I will get it done. Send me a PM and I will send you my email.
    DB Williams likes this.
  7. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

I have a Custom Shop A5 12 Mag Centenary (1903-2003) Limited Series “1 of 20”complete with signed Quality Certificate and Emmebi Presentation case. It was engraved by Bernadette Romainville. The Browning Historical Department authenticated the Serial Number and engraving. The gun is in safe storage and the few pictures I have were taken for my “reference” and are of poor quality. I know there are 19 sister guns out there, but I have never seen this version, including several Browning books. I will try to find my pictures, as they are on an old iPhone. Regards.
    KyBoB, Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  8. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho and formerly from the south side of Chicago says Hi and welcome! A great bunch of people here with tons of information. Zero drama. Buy another safe now.

I happen to dabble in older Auto 5s.....you have my interest.
    DB Williams likes this.
  9. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

Idaho’s a long way from Chicago! Thank You! Glad to be here. I like the rare stuff, but most often my bank account hinders my enthusiasm.
  10. Ranger6

I'm sure he truly misses Chicago!
    DB Williams likes this.
  11. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

Great place for Pizza and a Steak!
  12. Ranger6

I will for sure second that. I done lots of time in Chicago training with BMW and of course they footed the dinner bill. I ate at Chicago's prime steak house or something like that. Think my bill was 150. just for me. Thank goodness BMW got the tab.
    DB Williams likes this.
  13. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

Yes. Also there’s Morton’s Steakhouse! M-B put me on a 747 out of Chicago to Stuttgart, to train for 8 weeks.
  14. Ranger6

Yes, I know where that's at too. Not sure if I ate there or not. Stuttgart huh! yep spent 10 years in Germany. Honestly, it's a nice place or was back in the 90's. Uncle Sam allowed me to stay that long. Then I had to come back home, probably would have gone back but decided 15 years was enough. I really hate sand and that's where I was headed for the 3rd time.
    DB Williams likes this.
  15. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

It’s still nice, and very clean, in my opinion. I enjoyed my trips there and the opportunities to sight see and experience the culture. I found that Bremen and Bremerhaven were not as “friendly” as Sindelfingen and Munchen. I would go back for sure, given the opportunity.
  16. Ranger6

Agree some areas are more friendly than others, to Americans anyway. Once you speak German things do get better. I spent time in Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Nürnberg, Erlangen, Schweinfurt and couple other places. My oldest daughter was born in a German hospital, now that was a trip. They were not sure what to do with a bald, crazy army dude. Never forget they tried to make me leave the room where my daughter was, that’s just not happening. Buzzers started going off, next thing I know the head doctor shows up. Of course they are all talking in German. Finally the doctor comes over and says do you speak German? I said a little in German. So, he said in English….. we will make you a bed in the room just for tonight. I was happy as a pig in you know what. I was back on a helicopter the next morning back to the sand.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Auzzie, Rudolph31 and DB Williams like this.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Giday from Down Under 10000 miles south. You have my interest with green kangaroo hunting boots. Need a further explanation on that one. Sorry to report my only connection with Germany was relatives chucking bombs all over the place on Stuttgart, Bremen and Hamburg.
    Really good site and lots of information to be had.
    DB Williams likes this.
  18. DB Williams

DB Williams .22LR

Hello Down Under! Browning used to sell hunting boots that were made from kangaroo leather. Called them Featherweights. They are kind of an Army Green color. My father and grandfather wore them religiously. I don’t think they are available anymore, but can be found on the internet-used. Maybe someone on this site can provide more info. Cheers!
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Very good I will check that out of interest. Kangaroo leather is good stuff.
    Enjoy the site and see you round.
    DB Williams likes this.
  20. Tinyman

Tinyman .410

Welcome from CA (Central Alabama) -- enjoy your tour. 1972 - 1976 Bitburg Germany -- great tour, great country, better beer.
    DB Williams and Ranger6 like this.