New Citori break-in

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by OlympicFox, Apr 4, 2013.

1. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

My wife just got a new Citori and the action is quite tight and stiff. Enough to make it difficult for her to open the gun. The local gunsmith offered to loosen it up for her, but I have a feeling that his technique might not be the best thing for the gun in the long run.

Any suggestions?
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

not sure how the gunsmith intends on breaking it in, I have always just done it the old fashion way by using some frog lube and just playing with the action as much as possible. Browning loves to really grease the guns up when they ship them so it takes a couple of hours of use to really loosen them up. congrats on the new citori.
  3. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

The gunsmith didn't say anything about how he'd loosen up the gun, but left me with the impression that I might not want to know which concerned me. This particular 'smith seems to be humble enough & honest enough; better than another one scratched up my new Nighthawk 1911 all while having a better than thou attitude. :oops:

As for greasing the guns - ain't that the truth! My stainless BLR was fairly clean on the outside, but my blued BLR was covered in more grease than my surplus Mosin-Nagant.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I am not a fan of modding the action. What is stiff now will loosen up over time. What is loose now will be sloppy over time. Just break the gun down, wipe off the shipping oils, and spray down with a good oil. Should take care of a lot of that.
  5. sdr595

sdr595 Copper BB

I have a new Citori XT and it was quite stiff initially, but after 500 rounds, it has loosened nicely.