My New Browning Black Label 380

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Lead Head, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Lead Head

Lead Head .22LR

I picked up my new Browning 380 yesterday. I plan to shoot it tomorrow.

I am concerned about the slide to frame fit. The slide is loose enough on the frame that with the hammer in the cocked position, the gun is empty, and the pistol is shaken, it rattles. I haven't seem any mention of this problem on any of the forums. I did see this rattle of the Browning in one of the reviews on the internet. I am thinking this could cause a problem with accuracy.

Has any members of this forum had such an issue, and was the pistol still accurate?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

As far as the slide to frame fit...did you not handle the firearm before the purchase ?

Have you field stripped the piece and reassembled it to check the bushing and internals...?

Let us know...
  4. Lead Head

Lead Head .22LR

Hello,

I have been shooting for over fifty years. Although this Browning Black Label is new to me, I do own six true 1911 pistols in 9mm and 45 ACP.

I enjoy all things associated with shooting. Reloading and cleaning are a large part of the joy of shooting. I do have a number of rifles but the handguns get out more often. I think that is due to the load development, looking for the perfect load with different bullets, different powders and primers is more of a challenge for me.

Lead Head
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK then...this is why we ask everyone to introduce themselves...your background helps us know where you are in terms of gun expertise.

I would imagine you already field stripped the piece to check why it's so loose...so, I guess you'll have to decide where to go from there.

Keep us in the loop...
  6. Lead Head

Lead Head .22LR

Shooter13,

I had two Browning Black Label 380's to examine. Both had the same loose slide condition, one a bit worse than the other. I think others have the same condition but the owners are not aware of it. This loose slide to frame condition and the slide rattle, occurs only when the hammer is cocked and with the gun unloaded. That way there is no pressure on the slide from the hammer or a loaded magazine.

This Browning 380 has a trigger pull just over 4-1/2 pounds and a very heavy main spring (hammer spring). It seems much heavier than any of my other 1911 pistols. I assume this is by design, to help retard the rearward velocity of the slide as is true of some 1911 style pistols. I don't like it because it makes cocking of the hammer almost difficult. I am sure it adds to the trigger pull also.

I have field stripped the pistol and checked everything out then cleaned it well. I didn't see anything that would suggest cause for alarm.

I am very familiar with 1911 pistols. I own two Dan Wessons, one 45 ACP and a 9mm. I have three RIA 1911's, 45 ACP, 9mm and 38 Super. I also have a Star 9mm. 1911 pistols are no stranger to me.

I will admit the Browning feels a bit like a toy compared to my other 1911's. I bought the Browning because I don't like my Walther PPK'S 380. I don't like the blow back design and it is a little on the small side for fun shooting. The browning being a locked firing type pistol would be softer on the shooting hand and according to all the reviews I have read, quite accurate. I realize the Browning is a bit large for pocket carry but I have other pistols that are pocket size.

I am about to head out to my shooting range to get an idea of just how accurate this Browning may be with four different brands of ammo. This first outing with the Browning 380 will give me a chance to see if there are any problems with feeding, going into battery or ejection. Hopefully all goes well.

I will report the results of my first firing test.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds good sir...we await your range report !!
  8. Lead Head

Lead Head .22LR

RANGE REPORT

I will start by saying I was having trouble with the trigger pull. It has some pick up first and that isn't a problem. Then as I continue to squeeze it slips and then catches. Continuing squeeze it takes close to 5lb pull to let off. I am used to nice crisp 3lb to 3-1/2lb triggers with no catches or hic-ups.

Last but not least, my 76 year old eyes are not what they used to be. I usually use a pair of mechanics glasses and use the intermediate lens so the sights are in focus and the target blurred.

Yes, I sometimes need an excuse for stray shots or poor groups but I always shoot several (10) round groups over a period of time on different days so I can weed out my bad days or simply determine some loads just don't do well and others do.

Now that I got that out of the way and you know me a little better, I first fired a sighting in target using Winchester 95gr. FMJ factory ammo. The gun shot well left of center, 3-1/2 to 4". I bumped the rear sight right twice before I had the shots in the center of the target. I am shooting at 50 feet. I know, a lot of 380 shooters say I am crazy to be shooting a belly gun at 50 feet. Well this Browning Black Label 380 isn't exactly a belly gun and I have shot my PPK-S and other belly guns at 50 feet because I can and it is a far greater test of accuracy and the shooter than 15 to 21 feet is. I have never been a bucket shooter, I am a bullseye shooter. All my testing is at 50 feet off a shooting bench and using a simple pistol rest.

Here are the results of my testing for four different loads.
    First, there were no failures of any kind. Ejection was mostly up and slightly right. Two rounds landed on top of my head and a few others went over me and to the rear. Tweeking the ejector will take care of the ejection and put empties more to the right and less up.

Target no. 1 -- Winchester 95gr. FMJ 380 auto -- nine rounds in a 1.30" cluster and the tenth round enlarged the group to 2.20"
    Target no. 2 -- Federal (American Eagle) 95gr. FMJ -- I had a seven round cluster of only 0.90" and two rounds low for a 1.90" group. There was one round to the right that I called so I excluded that one from the group.
    Target no. 3 -- 95gr. FMJ (Remington), 4.5gr. Accurate no. 5, Winchester small pistol primers, OAL .965". Seven rounds in a 1.80" group and three rounds to the right opened the group up to 3.40". This load hasn't done well in the PPK-S either.
    Target no. 4 -- 100gr. Berry plated round nose bullet, 4.5gr. Accurate no. 5, Winchester small pistol primers, OAL .955". Nine rounds is a 2.30" group and the tenth round opened the group up to 2.70".

Some of the shots that are out of the group or cluster I tend to blame on sighting error or simply the gun wasn't pointed properly when it went bang. That is why I always shoot several ten shot groups over a period of time and on different days. I am not at my best every day. I don't know if I ever was.

Over all, and despite the some what loose slide, for a first firing of fifty rounds, the gun did fairly well. It will be interesting to see how it does after it is really broke in. The factory loads did well and I will have to work on my reloads so this pistol will like them better. I have a bunch of cast bullet loads to try also. Hopefully this barrel will do well with cast bullets. The pistol is in bad need of some trigger work and the ejector adjusted a little. Otherwise I can't complain.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the report sir...I hope you can get those small issues fixed and enjoy the new gun.