Markings on older A-5 butt stock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bruce Walker, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Bruce Walker

Bruce Walker Copper BB

5F68AFB0-FD71-4967-8CF6-D1E149531D21.jpeg 6305A22D-FE96-4078-982D-84F136766220.jpeg I have an older butt stock (butt stock only) that I would like to get additional information on. On the face that goes against the receiver has “B” “B” and “G” stamped on it.
    It also has “2R” stamped in the bottom area where the trigger assembly goes as well as “ST” written in pencil.
    Anyone know what these markings mean?
    Can an approximate date be determined by any of these markings?

5F68AFB0-FD71-4967-8CF6-D1E149531D21.jpeg 6305A22D-FE96-4078-982D-84F136766220.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The butt plate looks to be third generation. (1924-1964.)
    The stock itself is older than 1966 (or so). It appears to have been refinished at some point, as it looks too "shiny". (Possibly a close-to-1966 clear coat of some sort as opposed to the earlier oil-rubbed finishes that were much more common.
    Is there a serial number stamped into the butt stock channel on the top (underneath where the top receiver tang would cover)? If so, then we could figure its age pretty close. If there is no serial number stamped, then it would be older than 1953 ( or so as I recall, without dragging out my bible.) Somewhere in th
    at time frame, FN decided to not stamp the guns serial number on the stock and other parts.
    I do not know what the individual letters stamped on the wood mean, other than probably worker's numbers, or maybe batch numbers.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Your stock should have a serial number on it. I will say that 2R would be the serial number prefix for a 1962 standard-weight 16. But I have no idea if that applies in this case.
  4. Bruce Walker

Bruce Walker Copper BB

I have gone over every inch with my magnifying glasses and was unable to find any other markings.
    I am not familiar with “standard-weight 16”
    Please explain if you don’t mind.
    Thank you for your assistance
  5. Bruce Walker

Bruce Walker Copper BB

You have provided some very helpful information.
    Thank you
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

In 1937 Browning debuted a lightened version of the 16 gauge called the Sweet Sixteen. The unlightened Guns remained the standard. In 1953 they added prefixes to the serial numbers, S for Sweet Sixteens and R for the standard (Regular?) model. In 1958 they added a digit for the year.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree with Rudolph. On the standard weight guns the stock should be solid behind the butt plate. On the lightened version "Sweet Sixteen" there will be two holes drilled in the stock to shave some weight. I have seen them with one big oval hole as well.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

One more thing if it is for a sixteen I would gladly take it off your hands if you don't have a use for it.
  9. Bruce Walker

Bruce Walker Copper BB

Mine is definitely solid behind the butt plate so that makes it a standard weight for a 12ga. Correct?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No. It makes it a standard weight, but for which gauge hasn’t been determined. I’m leaning towards 16 based on the 2R.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

On the bottom of the stock where the checkering wraps around and comes to a point, do those points touch?
  12. Bruce Walker

Bruce Walker Copper BB

Yes. The checkering touches at that part.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The Bible indicates that the checkering stopped touching in 1963. It also says that from 1962-1963 production introduced a lighter color finish also known as the blond finish. With that said I agree with Rudolph that it’s a 1962 standard weight 16 gauge stock.

I also wonder if it is a replacement stock since it only has the 2R stamped where the complete number should be.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am still interested in buying it if you don’t need it. I have a few 16’s with cut stocks
  15. Bruce Walker

Bruce Walker Copper BB

I was not happy with the shiny finish and it had a few scratches so I am in the process of refinishing it back to a more original finish using Tru-oil. I have all the old finish off right now.
    I would be happy to sell it to you since I was eventually planning on putting it on eBay.
    I have an idea of how much it is worth but am interested in knowing what you were thinking on price.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This stock has a new home. Thanks Bruce