Light 12 with 3" barrel - And question on year(s)

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Steve Weber, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Steve Weber

Steve Weber Copper BB

I'm new to the world of the A-5 and looking to make my first purchase. I came across a Light 12 that came with a separate 3" barrel. It was my understanding that the Light 12 could only handle 2 3/4 but I don't know if that was due to the barrel or a function of the receiver. Anyone have any insight on this? Also any insight or advice on year(s) that would be preferable to others would be very much appreciated. This would primarily be for clay pigeon and maybe some pheasant hunting if I can ever get back to South Dakota for the season.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome. That Light Twelve will not handle the magnum barrel. But that extra barrel is worth a few hundred dollars if you decide to sell it. New barrels cost $450.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-auto-5/barrels.html

As for the best years, it’s largely personal preference. The cross bolt safety became standard in 1951, Speed Load in late 1953, and square knob stocks in 1967. Production began in Japan in 1976 and ended in Belgium in 1978. For me, I like just about anything made before 1967.

There is one practical matter, however. Many small modifications were made in 1958, and parts availability for pre-58 guns is problematic. You’ll be searching Numrich and eBay is something breaks.
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. I'd be interested in the 3" barrel, if interested in selling itm let me know, Thank You, JB