If I had just known.

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by djh, Jan 10, 2015.

1. djh

djh .22LR

Boy if I had just known the Browning/Miroku 45/70 model 1886 Take-down was going to be so hard to find I would have never never sold mine.
    It was a hard shooting rifle with lots of recoil unlike the 45/70 model 1885 using the same loads. Don’t know why.
    It was beautifully built gun.
    Here is a picture of one like I had.
    You don’t see many up for sale these days like you do the 1885’s.
    Wonder how many they made?

[​IMG]
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

It is a fine lookin' rifle...but don't have much use for a .45-70 in my neck of the woods tho !!
  3. bighorn1

bighorn1 Copper BB

djh - Hello, I am new to the Browning forum, and after looking at some recent posts I think you may be the one to help me out.
    I recently acquired a B78 highwall. (pic attached) I love this piece but I am totally unfamiliar with them.
    Please note in the pic the extended rise, of the rear base/ring compared to the front. The scope gets a serious cant to the front end.
    Would this be the norm in your opinion or have they used the wrong set. Your opinion would be appreciated. Thx
    Bill

Attached Files:

• b78.jpg
      b78.jpg
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I saw that the other day Bill...doesn't look right to me either.
  5. bighorn1

bighorn1 Copper BB

Thx all - exactly what I thought
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Curved buttplates, like that pic above shows, tend to have more felt recoil than flat-buttplated rifles do. That might have been the cause.

45.70 is an excellent deer cartridge, a friend in WV used to hunt deer with his lever gun.