Good Trade?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Timothy Fisher, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Copper BB

This last weekend, I was talking to a couple of my late father's friends at the polish club that he had belonged to. The three of them being avid gun collectors, the conversation naturally turned to my Dad's collection and what my plans for some of the pieces were.
    During the conversation, I mentioned that despite the large number of nice firearms my Dad had, he didn't have but 2 Brownings and neither were an Auto-5. The evening concluded with one of them showing me a picture of no less than a dozen Auto-5s from various years of manufacture. I asked if any were Sweet Sixteens and he said yes, three.
    The next day, I was packing up my car getting ready to travel home and my dad's friend showed up and asked if I wanted to see a Sweet Sixteen. I said "You brought one?" And he said "No, I brought 2."
    He proceeded to show me a blonde 64 and a nice dark 59. He then asked what I had to trade, we eventually agreed on the 59 for my Dad's COLT Anaconda.
    Here are some pictures:

upload_2023-11-14_0-55-1.png

upload_2023-11-14_0-55-56.png

upload_2023-11-14_0-57-4.png

upload_2023-11-14_0-57-46.png

upload_2023-11-14_0-58-8.png

What do you think, good trade?

Tim
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    recoil and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’d say so. Congratulations.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thats a pretty nice, sweet 16. If you are not a revolver guy, then you got a great deal. Really don't know enough about the Colt to decide if it was a good financial deal, or even a fair deal. The Anaconda in the right configuration would bring a premium.
  4. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Copper BB

Thank you. I have a couple questions about the barrel on this.

Is this what they called a matte barrel?

upload_2023-11-14_9-6-28.png

I think this is IC based on my research, but it could be MOD also. Which one is it?

upload_2023-11-14_9-8-59.png
    I cannot make out the date cartouche. If I could get some assistance on that front, I'd be very grateful.
    upload_2023-11-14_9-12-0.png

And finally, what are these numbers?
    upload_2023-11-14_9-14-28.png

Any help is appreciated.

Tim
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  5. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Copper BB

Yes, I had looked into it previously and the Anaconda was one that may have brought a decent number, if I found the right buyer. But after having it listed several places for over 8 months at under the premium price, no takers. I am not a large caliber handgun guy, other than 45 cal. 1911s, but definitely not a large caliber wheel gun guy, with .45 LC being an exception.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

7. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Copper BB

So maybe phi? I know that barrels wernt matched to the receivers after some point
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s what it looks like to me.
  9. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Copper BB

Thank you for the assist on that.
  10. That’s a beautiful sweet sixteen. I don’t know values of colt anacondas but I’d personally much rather have a sweet sixteen like this. I just picked up a light 12 with the matte rib and really like it. My matte rib light 12 weighs nearly a half pound less than my vent rib light 12. Must have something to do with the weight of the butt stock. Maybe they drill out the butt stock more on the matte or plain barrels for balance?

congrats on the trade.
  11. In regard to your Engraved ribbed barrel markings... From my understanding, you have the "Matted Ribbed Barrel"... I not exactly sure what the correct Browning term is... I have a few barrels like that.... I Like Them !