First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Mine goes to 500 rpm. Just did some searching on paper hulls. Looks like ballistic, when and if they get them back in stock, and rst are the only choice for 16. I read somewhere federal was going to produce 16 paper again. I can’t find it now. May be a thing of the past now.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think it’s just finding that sweet spot. Just like your first fold crimp, you hope it comes out perfect, but rarely does without practice and some adjustments. When I first added the gaep pre crimp to my mec it was total bullshit. I couldn’t get crimper down far enough for it to work correctly. I was about to throw it all in the trash. Then bam next one was perfect. I don’t wanna remember how many hulls I jacked up getting it right, however they were fiocchi, junk hulls anyway. Then loading once fired was another issue. The gaep pre crimper is rigid and won’t move a little to find that already folded plastic. If it’s in the wrong place and you pull the handle your gonna get a really bad looking pre crimp. Simple fix drawl a line on crimper body to index with crease already in once fired shells. Perfect every time.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Are you slowly applying pressure or do you give it the onion?
  4. Ranger6

Very light and slow pressure. My problem was wrong crimper. Got ahold of Charles in Italy. The correct roll crimper is on the way.

Attached Files:

5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How do you get ahold of him? I want one too
  6. Ranger6

It will cost you 80 bucks delivered. About 3 weeks. His email is gaep61@ Gmail.com
    His name is Charles. English isn’t that great, but really nice guy.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

10-4. Thanks I’ll get one on the way
  8. Ranger6

Win7
    I was going through some of my hulls today to try and clean up and organize so I know what I have. In one of the containers that came from my grand dad was a bag marked 16 hulls, so I decided to have a look see and this is what I found. Those are Winchester Rangers. Probably at least 50 years old.

Attached Files:

9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Kick ass, are you going to load them?
  10. Ranger6

Yea if I can find some load data for them.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Fill it with shot and weigh it. Fill a cheddite with shot and weigh it. See what the difference is. If it’s close I’d use cheddite data.
  12. Ranger6

I have some old reloading books. Gotta dig them up and see if their in there, if not that’s what I will do
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Those hulls look similar to mine. Just be aware they took different sized primers back then. I keep expecting the Cheddites to explode when I press them in, but so far so good. They do need a little extra force to seat, however.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Those would have been the size 57 primers. I think Curly on shotgunworld knows what size drill bit to use to enlarge the primer pocket. I’ll do some digging to see if I can find it
  15. Ranger6

Didn’t think about that Rudolph31. Good call and yes I bet they are 57. I just seen 1000 of those for sale. Didn’t buy cause I didn’t know I had any of the old paper ones. Pretty cool if I say so myself. I’m gonna do some research on them, if for no other reason then just to know.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I shot the box of Westerns I loaded. Several wouldn’t cycle the gun, so I don’t think I have to worry about pressures. My powder loads are a little light, averaging 19.5 grains. But all the Cheddites cycled.
  17. Ranger6

Was that the cheddite paper? 19.5 of universal is what I load. What powder you using?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I used the Cheddite recipe with the Westerns. It’s supposed to be 20 grains of PB, but my press is throwing light charges. Also, 1 oz. of shot won’t fit in the Westerns, so I’m only able to fit .85 oz. And some were lighter than that. Those are probably the ones that didn’t cycle.

Recipes for Universal seem to be about the same as those for PB. As a matter of fact, when I started reloading I looked for Universal but PB was all that was available.
  19. Ranger6

I have looked high and low for pb powder. Seems like when they come up with a good powder, they stop making it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06