First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Didn’t turn out that great. Do I shoot them? I used a single pin roll crimper in a drill press.

New Cheddite hulls
    18 grains Green Dot
    Cheddite primer
    BP SG16
    1 ounce #9 shot

Hopefully I’ll get the hang of it
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Pics? And how’s your stack height? What brand of crimper did you use? It does take some practice.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Shit forgot the pics. I am using a single pin crimper. No idea of the brand but I’m assuming it’s a ballistic products.
    [​IMG]
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Stack height is great
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I say shoot them and leave them. Second row on right side looks good. What speed you spinning? I started yesterday, got one shell loaded with 21.7 grains of universal, same wad as you. Didn’t roll crimp yet, got interrupted, stack height looked to low. How much room you got above your shot card, before starting crimp.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am using the slowest speed on my little bench mounted drill press. How much pressure do you apply? I’m slowly running the crimper down.

I have probably 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch on top of the card
  7. Ranger6

Maybe I need to check my shot drop. I haven’t put it on the drill press yet. I was gonna start at 600 rpm. I will have to look again when I get home, looked like I had more room then that above my shot card. I know it takes practice. I expect to ruin a few shells. Damn we just can’t leave shit alone. Got good looking 2 1/2 shells. I have some green dot. I’m gonna try that and see what I think.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Of course you should shoot them. Unless the overshot card is loose. In that case hit them with hot glue and then go shoot them.

I guess the point of roll crimping is to produce pretty shells. So it’s a hobby all by itself. But for me, if short 16’s were the price as 70mm 16’s I’d never load again.

That said, I’ve read that BP’s roll crimper sucks, and Precision’s is the one to get:

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=MM&i=RC16
    win7stw likes this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Does the stack height look ok to you?

[​IMG]
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The crimper was free so I’m using it. I’ll probably take it to work and have a machinist add another pin
  11. Ranger6

Yes stack height looks good to me. I just looked at mine loaded with universal and weighed shot. Little over 1 oz and I have twice that much room. I looked at my gaep crimper and there is no way it’s gonna roll the end, must be wrong one for roll crimps. I’m gonna order the one Rudolph suggested.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

These are about as good as Hartin crimped shells get:

[​IMG]

And by the way, I don’t know how it’s supposed to be done, but I add the overshot card like it’s a wad, and I seat it with a little pressure. Lowers the stack a little.
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This is all new to me. I use a Ponsness Warren 375 press. I throw the charge, insert a wad by hand, push the wad down with an old Remington plug until it’s firm against the powder, throw the shot, lay the overshot card on top of the shot, and crimp.

I NEED some of those paper hulls
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’m going to order the Precision crimper too.

Should just say the hell with it and fold crimp them
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Those paper hulls in the above photo are old Western shells. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were 50 or more years old. They fired just fine, and I cut open a hull and found that an SG16 fit perfectly. So I load them like Cheddites. No I didn’t get them tested. I think it would take a triple charge of powder to blow up an Auto-5. But if I stop posting, you’ll know.

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  16. Ranger6

Don’t give up just yet buddy. I just bought one of those old school hand crank ones from Mark Weber over on 16 gauge society.
    I’m gonna get this roll crimp figured out. If for no other reason then just to bring back memories of loading with my great grand dad.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Ranger6

Federal still sells the paper shells also.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Only in 12 gauge though right?
  19. Ranger6

For sure in 12. Thought I seen 16 also. Rst in 16 paper. Think gamebore( Kent) may have 16 also. I’m gonna order some from RST. They make great shells.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am supposed to be getting some Cheddite papers from a member on 16 gauge society e we hen he heads back to MN.

My turd drill press might be the problem. The lowest speed is 650. I have a small 3 phase motor I could put on it and run it with a VFD. Then I could get the RPMs really low