Finally......

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Well, after a dry spell and several non-productive gun shows, the planets aligned and I found an A5 today. It was advertised on a local website at a gun shop in a small town nearby. I stopped by first thing this morning, and there it was.......
    A 1928. I introduced myself to the guy, and took a different approach than I usually do. In the past, at shows and shops (where they don't recognize me!) I show little interest no matter what it is, down play its value, and try to deal with them. This time, for some unknown reason, I walked in, asked to see it, explained that I wouldn't waste any of his time more than needed. I mentioned I collect A5s. I brought my bible, a pad and pen. First thing I did was give it a once over, looking for any obvious problems or "incorrect" things. Then I looked up the year of birth, writing down notes. I measured the barrel and LOP. I then got my flashlight out and dug into the numbers stamped on the parts. Everything matched except the front wood (which ended up being 1951). The wood was refinished, and seemingly way too glossy. The bluing was worn evenly, and there was some minor pitting on the receiver. As much as I could see on the innards, it looked pretty clean.
    I removed the barrel (after asking) and checked out the bore. It was a plain barrel, the guy said he thought it was cut down, but after further investigation- all was well.
    I put it back together, carefully laid it on his counter, and asked how firm he was with the price. ( Marked at $450.) I told him I already had a 1928, but if he sharpened his pencil enough, I would be interested in it. He said $400, I instantly fired back with "Out the door". Sold.

So I take it home, and do a complete (!!!) disassembly/inspection of all the guts. It needed a new recoil spring-I expected that. I scrubbed a bit of cheese off of the inside, lubed it up, and put it back together. Until....................As I was putting the barrel back on, wiggling it ever so slightly to align the grooves in the receiver, I noticed it was being very friendly. I pulled the barrel back off and discovered ---WITH GREAT GNASHING OF THE TEETH--the barrel extension was not tight on the barrel, and could be moved about the width of the "chisel" mark found underneath where the extension and barrel touch. Admittedly, that let the air out of my sail. Wonderful, just wonderful.
    In all the A5s I have and have dealt with, this is the second barrel I have ever seen this happen to. The first one (which funny enough happened to be the first A5 I ever owned) went to Arts with a few other problems.
    I guess this one is going too. Luckily the barrel and extension show zero problems, other than being loose. There are no cracks, chips, wear marks. Maybe they can sprinkle some A5 magic dust on it and merely somehow tighten it up. (I don't remember what was involved with fixing the first one years ago.)
    I left an email a few hours ago. At least I added another one to the herd.
    antman73 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Bill: I have removed one in the past, they are very tight and a pain to get off. If I remember correctly there should be an index mark somewhere. Wondering if yours is any where close to lining up? I made a tool to remove. Sure you could make something to tighten. I’m sure Art can get it done too.
    Congrats on another one. Good deal for sure.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Pictures?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

“Out the door” is my favorite line when dickering for something. And it usually works.

I would call Art’s. Maybe they can give you some advice about doing it yourself. Someone who can make .410 version of the Auto-5 from scratch can surely tighten a barrel extension!
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

( A marginal difference between " can" make a .410 A5, and "Have" made a .410 A5, but thanks, I smell what you're steppin" in.)

I sent him an email, he said he can take care of it. It's leaving in a few days.

Like a guy (named Clint) once told me---" A man has got to know his limitations..."
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. antman73

antman73 .410

Nice story Bill. I think you got a great deal from what you've said about it. I have not seen any lately for the original price of $450. I also can't wait to see pictures.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Speaking of Art only saw his last Sept YouTube with flyaround tour of his workshop. Very impressive establishment of dedication and old fashioned workmanship.. Would be high on my list of places to visit one day.