Engraving differences on a 1974 Diana Grade Superposed

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Chip Wright, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

I recently purchased a 1974 English straight stock Diana grade Superposed. I have noticed several variances in the engraving vignettes as well as the coverage on the sideplates of the action. Let me describe, the engraving is not chased all the way around to the bottom of the action. There are blank edges between the sides and bottom panels. There is a circular engraved area around the hinge at the break. The panels are as they should be as to subject matter , ducks one side, pheasants on the other. The pheasant side is signed by a known engraver, R. Coenen. The gun has a very nice acanthus swirl in the spot on the bottom of the receiver that has traditionally has the quail engraved. A second variant is the trigger guard. On the bow of the guard where the rabbits usually are there is another acanthus swirl similar to the one where the quail usually are on the receiver.
    Are these variances unusual or abnormal for this gun? Are there known differences in the engraving as this is a later manufactured gun? Again, it is a straight stock gun with no pistol grip. Can this account for the differences in the engraving? Could it be a special order? Was that available? I am checking now that the horse is already out of the barn I guess but I would like to know if I've been had...
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir to the forum. Glad to have you. Some pictures would probably be a great help to the experts here. Thanks again for joining.
    Chip Wright likes this.
  3. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

4. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

5. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

6. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

7. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I’m no expect on this engraving but that is seriously a nice one. I could be wrong but don’t think it could be anything but a factory job and original.
  9. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Very spectacular. I am no engraving expert at all either but what I learned so far is FN engravers did have some artistic latitude on set designs.and in later years work did go outside to an FN approved guild house arrangement of engraving artists. That is the limit of my general understanding
    Anatidae is definitely the guy to answer this one comprehensively
  10. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

So this is a Diana grade gun, correct? I see the designation B2G and several with that designation do not state such. I really like this gun and can't wait to use it both in the field and at the sporting clays range. I am just trying to confirm that I did, in fact, buy a Diana grade gun.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

To my knowledge B2 G denotes to the world market gun grading.
    My side of world they go A1 plain blued no side engraving only edged and pin , A2 colour case hardened version then B1, B2. Etc which is the start of the silver nitride finishes here. The G is for game scene.
  12. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

It is an FN B2g Grade.

Aussie - the D5g does not have a game scene.

The ‘g’ suffix guns were (to my understanding) partially acid-etched. The result removes more metal more cheaply than hand engraving labor, and ‘somewhat’ produces the illusion of more depth to the engraving particularly on what is known as a fond creux or hollow background style like the D5g.

A few Facebook or YouTube gun personalities contend the ‘g’ stands for ‘Germanic’.

I’m not well-versed in, nor do I totally subscribe to the above - nor Any number of popular ‘talking heads’.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    Auzzie and Ranger6 like this.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Good point you make on D5g. Changes my understanding of g on that one.
  14. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Thanks for the acknowledgment, ‘Auzzi’ and ‘Ranger6’. No good deed goes unpunished.
  15. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

‘Chip Wright’

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t have a record for a ‘74 Rene’ Coenen signed B2G #13. Would you share some more details about the gun (full serial #) and who represented it as a Diana Grade?

I think it is helpful for all of us to expose those who are either dishonest or ignorant so we can separate knowledge from misinformation (or artificial intelligence from natural stupidity).

No need to feel embarrassed for a misidentification. If the engraving appeals to you and the price was within the correct range of values for a B2g, then that’s all that matters.

I have a #13 custom engraved gun and a #24 (20ga) FN D3 Grade. They are exceptional ‘game guns’ suitable for a variety of shooting applications. I will pull them out of the safe first, every time.

Certain guns lend a sense of individualism to their owners. If we bought what appeals to the masses, we would just be buying what we think everyone else likes or wants. Happy Hunting!
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  16. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

Thanks for the info. I am away now and will post the full serial number when I get home next week. I did contact the seller and I have determined he was ignorant to the actual designation of the gun. The price was fair and I do like the way the gun points and how it feels. I told the seller about the misidentification in his advert. He has corrected the receipt for it and I am satisfied that he really didn’t realize he had misrepresented it. I also told him I would not call him out on it but that I was going to keep an eye on what he posts for sale over the next few months to make sure he didn’t play me. The gun was purchased off the Gun Brokers website and I did not report it to them as well. If I see a problem I will let them know about the seller and my story if need be. I am a novice with regards to the B25 variants so it’s partially my own fault. Caveat emptor!
  17. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Don’t beat yourself up about it. It happens to all of us as we learn the details and production history.

I know Art’s had one advertised as an “FN high-grade” but they know what a Diana pattern looks like. Seems there was another one with another seller on GB but didn’t have the serial either, so I didn’t read their description nor make a record of the gun.

I think your course of action is fair and appropriate. Some sellers just don’t know what they’re selling and sometimes grasp at straws.

Nice gun none-the-less. Thanks for the follow-up.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  18. Chip Wright

Chip Wright .22LR

I am finally home. The serial number of the gun is 30546 S74. The top barrel is marked Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique first line left side. The second line left side says Special Steel 12 GA. Shells_2 3/4". The right side of the barrel says Made In Belgium - Browning Patent. The buttplate is also marked with the fancy FN insignia and appears to be plastic/bakealite. There are no choke markings on the breach end of the barrels i.e. the star and dash system which I also find a bit curious. Any info/input you might have here will be helpful. Thanks.
  19. I'm following this mystery. According to my copy of Schwing, old style serial numbers ran 26703S72-32603S73 for guns "estimated" to have been manufactured in 1973. For 1974 they ran 32604S73-38504S74. The year code seems correct but the beginning numbers don't seem to line up. Calling Anatidae...come in Anatidae. He's the guy, I'm a rookie.
  20. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

'Chip' - Thanks for the info about your B2g. Regarding choke markings, I have encountered a few without the standard markings. I HAVE encountered a few that were stamped ‘in’ the breech end of the barrels behind the ejector cups. Other than this, I don't have any other information to offer.

'Fanboy' (I love the name, BTW) - people make fun of us calling us 'fanboys', sometimes.

My understanding is - Schwing used the numbers as they appeared in the FN shipping journal. FN's fiscal year ran through June 30 so the serialization MAY have, as well. So, I'm not certain when the year code changed each year - whether July 1, or January 1 when referring to 'year of manufacture'. I'm too tired to rationalize it, presently.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023