Early Browning Auto 5 Receiver Engraving

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Madman, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Madman

Madman .22LR

I picked up two boxes of pieces and parts along with a couple of receivers. I have posted photos of the most interesting. I think one is a 16 gauge Grade 2. The other is a 12 gauge receiver that is very similar to the one on page 60 of S/V book and is only a couple of digits away from 7312 that is in the book. It appears I have all the pieces, parts, and several old Browning cases. I will post those pictures of the cases later. I found them through a classified ad through one of the local gun clubs.

I have seen several engraved receivers that are similar to #7312 on page 60 of S/V and they all seem to fall into a very narrow range around 7000. Anyone have any ideas why that is or why you see so many in the with that type of engraving?[​IMG]
    Scout86, Anatidae, KyBoB and 2 others like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Why can't I get this lucky? Can you post a picture of where the stock slides on, please. I am interested in how the stock bolt attaches, if they are straight stock. The straight stock bolt is at a different angle and different length. Thanks
  3. Madman

Madman .22LR

I will post it when I get all the parts sorted out. It is a straight stock.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice find. Do you plan on having them restored? I never thought I’d say this but I love that 12 gauge
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Madman

Madman .22LR

Not sure on what the path will be other than to get all the parts and pieces from the box matched up for now. I have been a 16 gauge guy for many years, but that 12 gauge receiver is really nice. It appears all the parts are here including the engraved barrel. I did some research and found one that was restored by Art a while back that was selling on GI.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Awesome find. Everyone here is envious. Keep the pictures coming!
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Just a little bit……
  8. Madman

Madman .22LR

I know there are more out there. I had been looking for many years....I think we should do one of the "barn find" shows regarding firearms.... Hmmm!

Anyway... here is a picture of the barrel engraving.
    [​IMG]
    Auzzie, KyBoB, recoil and 2 others like this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn I need to find the right barrel for my Type III. That engraving is perfection
  10. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Congratulations and Thanks for sharing this find with us.

I love this stuff! And I'm not even an Auto-V collector. It's the history and FN engraving that fascinates me.

As far as a 'Barn Find' show - Please, NO! That would just increase the number of profiteers and scalpers out there - people that only care about the monetary value.

I came to the conclusion after some unforeseeable or unexpected opportunities on some really unique items - Certain guns 'find' those who are most passionate about the details and history behind the item's creation. I used to wonder how the collectors ended-up with the extraordinary examples in the S&V and Schwing - but I don't anymore.......I understand the passion.
    Auzzie likes this.
  11. Madman

Madman .22LR

It looks like there is engraved receiver like the one we have been talking about on Gunbroker. The item# is 969512894 and it ends on 2/16. Currently about 2 grand.