Dry firing a 1911-380

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by Karen Barger, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Karen Barger

Karen Barger Copper BB

Hi, new member here. I have a question...in the manual it states unequivocally “do not dry fire” this weapon. However, if I use Snapcaps, does that protect whatever might break inside? Note that I owned it for only a few weeks when the trigger went “clunk” and locked up. I just received it back from them, telling me it was “dry,” (though I cleaned and lubed on day one, and after shooting one box of ammo, and again after the second box, when it seized up...literally the day before I mailed it to them. So, I don’t want to rock the boat here, I’m a bit afraid it is fragile. I have several others and think I will use this for practice. Is there an upgrade trigger available? Thanks for any advice...KT
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Welcome to the site, Karen. I think Browning says not to dry fire for liability reasons. But snap caps guarantee you won’t hurt your pistol.
  3. Tim Lange

Tim Lange .22LR

I just went online and looked at the manual, it says "DRY FIRING DO NOT DRY FIRE THE 1911-22 PISTOL. DRY FIRING MAY DAMAGE THE FIREARM COMPONENTS, POSSIBLY RENDERING THE FIREARM INOPERABLE." I would agree not to dry fire a .22 or any rim fire. The center fire should not be an issue. Of course using dummies such as Snapcaps or a laser in the bore such as G-Sight should give you piece of mind. I've 'shot' my 1911-380 over 5,000 times with a G-Sight bore laser. Really helped me get rid of flinch.