Could this be an actual 1903 Auto 5?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by MJarvis73, Mar 19, 2013.

1. MJarvis73

MJarvis73 Copper BB

I have posted this on shotgun worlds website and could not get a difinitive answer, so I figured I would try here. I cannot find a way to contact Browning itsel to get thier expert opinion. Anyways, I bought this A5 at a gunshow. Thought it was an odd looking A5 and figured the price was right, its different, I'll buy it. After getting it home I noticed that it did not have a serial number anywhere on it so I jumped on line to look for pictures or descriptions of early A5s. I found a posting on shotgun worlds website with a timeline of the early A5s and after doing alot of comparing I believe I have either a 1903 or a 1904A FN Auto5. It does not have the original barrel however. Someone put on a Japan slug barrel. I am going to try and post pictures on here, feel free to contact me for more if it will help positively date this gun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help with this, Mike J
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey mike, welcome to the Browning Owners Community, thats a beautiful A5!! It looks to be in great condition. Don't think i can be of much help with dating the gun but good luck with it and hopefully someone else will have a little more insight.

BTK
  3. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

That's a beauty! I think you are right-on with the date estimation. And early ones such as yours did have straight-grip stocks. Very nice wood, and a classic.
  4. MJarvis73

MJarvis73 Copper BB

Ok thanks, I am about to put it on Gunbroker and did not want to misrepresent what I have.