Browning High Power Rifle - Safari

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Nick Ostrowski, Nov 15, 2023.

1. Nick Ostrowski

Nick Ostrowski Copper BB

I have a high power in safari grade that was my dads. Think he bought it new in 1968 or 1969. I had the gun refinished a few seasons back. While hunting with it last season, I noticed that one of the recoil lug screws on the stock fore end had fallen out.

Does anybody have suggestions on where I can a replacement?
  2. South_HouA520

South_HouA520 Copper BB

It might depend on the caliber of your rifle because Browning used more than one brand and style of action for that line. "Standard" and magnum length actions used an FN Mauser Supreme action built in Belgium, whereas the short and medium calibers (222, 308, 243 et al.) used a Sako action made in Finland. I'm not sure about Sako but I would bet Gun Parts Corporation would have some generic mauser 98 action parts that would work. Worst comes to worst, as long as you can learn the dimensions and thread count of the screw, any machine shop or competent gunsmith can make one up from a new bolt blank. Come to think about it, maybe the best place to start would be to call Brownell's tech support folks, who are very good at knowing or looking up what you need. They might well have one in stock or can at least tell you the specs for what you need. They don't charge for the advice. A second place might be Customer Support at Browning in Utah. Even though they don't support the out of print High Power, they may well have the specifications for that screw and could refer you to a parts dealer who stocks it.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    Nick Ostrowski likes this.
  3. Nick Ostrowski

Nick Ostrowski Copper BB

Good info… Thank you.