Browning auto 5, serial number 1

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Lately, I received from mon ami Anatidae a Browning auto-5 Final Tribute publicity pamphlet. The publicity shows side by side à Final Tribute and serial number 1. Looking at SN 1, I realized that something seems strange compare to the following month’s production. Does anyone else notice that difference. I wonder if number 1 was a prototype or the first one put in production.

[​IMG]
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Don't know what they call them but the raised area on the stock at the receiver?
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

There is that, the cheeks, but something is more obvious.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

There is no checkering, but don't think the first ones had anyway. That picture is a little blurry, but is there a safety?
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Apparently, it was shipped without the safety. Nothing to do with the checkering. It is more obvious than that.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am going to say that the forearm groove going all the way to the front is different than the following month’s production. Just a WAG
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

You hit the nail on the head. Do you think it was a prototype or the first one of the production. Interestingly, with the cheeks and that type of grooves , it looks more like a first year Remington Autoloading Shotgun
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think it’s a replacement forearm. That gun got used, and I imagine if you’re John or Val Browning, it’d be easier to replace a part than to repair it.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

It is a valid hypothesis. I wonder what JMB presented to Remington when they got the exclusivity for the US market. Just for the discussion, here is an early Remington. Notice the cheeks and the forearm. Very similar to S.N. 1.
    [​IMG]
  10. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

The number one was discussed before and I believe the museum suggested that forend was replaced. Also was suggested that the earliest Remingtons were more true to original gun than Belgium gun. I believe Belgiums were improving design every chance they had. I think I remember Rudolph participating in that discussion I read long ago.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Belgians not Belgiums sorry This new Stagg release is quite good if you know what I mean
    win7stw likes this.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I do vaguely recall that discussion. If it was on this site, it’s probably gone. There was a great purge a few years back.
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Just was pointing out that 95% or more of everything I know about these guns came from most of you over the last 15-20yrs. I very much appreciate that! Thanks
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

I own an American published copy of "John M Browning American Gunmaker". The book is written by John Browning and Curt Gentry and was published by Browning themselves. My copy is a 1993 12th edition.
    The cover of the book I have features a photo of a very early A5. I have included a photograph of the cover below. The cover photograph has no image credit in the book.
    This book was first published in 1982.

Given that the book was published by Browning I'd hazard a guess that this is also a photograph that Browning took. It would not surprise me if the gun in this photogaph is also serial number 1. Similar to the gun in the photo that @Biz shared the stock also features the "cheeks" and no safety catch.
    Note how damaged the gun in this photo is. There's cracks extending from the rear of the bolt handle slot and the rear of the humpback has cracked all the way around.

[​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Can you make out the writing on the receiver?
  16. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

I was just doing some further research into this and found a vintage Browning advert from 1978 that features the exact image on the cover of the book.
    This advert credits the bottom gun as serial number 1.

[​IMG]
  17. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

Are these not the patent dates upside down?
  18. Ranger6

Sure would like to know what screw drivers were used on those screws? Wonder if those brass shells were fired in one of them and what kind of crimp was used if any.
  19. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

I'm more interested to know what the extra screw is infront of the bolt release button.
    I'm guessing that as it's serial number 1 it'll have been dissassembled and assembled multiple times in the workshop, hence all the marring.

The brass shells will have had a card waxed or glued into the end of the casing. A lacquer style of glue was often used.
    Full brass cases predate the A5 and A5s will have seen paper cases and then plastic cases in their lives. I see no reason why full brass cases wouldn't work in an A5, however moden brass cases are usually rated for black powder or pyrodex only.
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

The extra screw is to hold the magazine tube.
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.