Browning Abolt 300 RUM Accuracy

Discussion in 'Browning A-Bolt Rifle' started by huntxtrm, Apr 6, 2014.

1. huntxtrm

huntxtrm Copper BB

hello,
    Glad I found this forum. I am the new owner of a Browning Abolt in 300 RUM. I am having accuracy issues so far. At 100yds, I'm all over the place. Like 3" groups. A buddy of mine told me, that since I have only put 23 rounds down the barrel, it is not seasoned yet? Is that true? He also said my shoulder might be causing it. LOL. But seriously, could the seasoning thing be for real? He said something about Lapping rounds? What is he talking about?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

3. huntxtrm

huntxtrm Copper BB

Thanks, I will check out that link. Is that something that commonly has to be done with a large caliber rifle?
  4. huntxtrm

huntxtrm Copper BB

from what I've already read, it doesn't sound like a good idea? Should I just shoot it, and let it season itself in? you can see machining marks in the barrel. Kind of like ripples? In the grooves of the rifling.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That is exactly what fire lapping does...it removes the tool marks and burrs in the chamber and barrel.

Not necessary...but sounds like you may need it !

Basically...fire a round...and then use a bore snake with a little drop of CLP on the brass bristles and pull it through from breach to barrel end. Then follow with a dry patch wrapped around the snake at the bristle area and pull through again. Then fire two rounds...and repeat the boresnake process. By the time you have finished a 20 round box, you will have removed said burrs and tool marks. Easy...
  6. huntxtrm

huntxtrm Copper BB

Any recommendations as to what brand of fire lapping rounds to use?