BLR stock and hand guard removal

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by granthol, Dec 13, 2015.

1. granthol

granthol Copper BB

I have searched and can't come up with directions to remove the stock and hand guard on the BLR.

It appears the stock is pretty straight forward, remove recoil pad, remove the screw inside the stock to the receiver and wiggle off.

The hand guard LOOKS like I need to remove a screw at he end of the hand guard and a pin from the barrel band then remove the band and I should be able to remove the hand guard. This is all based on some diagrams I looked at.

Am I missing anything?
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

You are correct about buttstock removal. I have a pistol grip, so no barrel band, so can't verify that from personal experience.

You need a LOOOONG screwdriver. About the longest & largest Lowe's / HD has.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum granthol !!
  5. granthol

granthol Copper BB

Finally got to take it apart. Actually far easier than I envisioned. When I bought this the finish was beat up. Now the removal of the epoxy finish...that was not simple. Aircraft finish remover gel wrapped in foil for a few coats got 98% off and some light sanding finished it off. It has a finish sanding and now got a coat of Golden Pecan stain, pretty close to original color. It will dry over the weekend then get several coats of Tru oil. True to Browning finish it will get high gloss vs the satin I would normally use.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Wow...that took awhile...!!
  7. granthol

granthol Copper BB

Yeah, I've had more important things going on.
  8. granthol

granthol Copper BB

Finally got it all done and back together. Refinished all the wood, spot touch up of the bluing and some rust remediation. This gun had been abused and will be much happier with me.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  9. Joesmoe3

Joesmoe3 Copper BB

O.k, how does one remove the recoil pad ? I would appear to be glued.