Belgium BAR in 308 question

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Hairtrigger, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

This may be a dumb question but here goes
    My new to me BAR has the feature that holds the bolt open after the last shot. The problem is the mag is what holds the bolt back. With the bolt open I cannot open the magazine. I must depress the shell follower then close the bolt then open the mag. It seems like I would rather the bolt close after the last shot
    UNLESS
    I am doing something incorrect?
  2. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Huh. Mine (the Hog Stalker, which may or may not have some differences from other BARs besides just the DBM and rails) doesn't work that way. Mine works like most all auto-loaders I've encountered: The magazine pushes up on the bolt catch, which is what holds the bolt open. The magazine (the empty follower, actually) only serves to push the catch up enough to lock the bolt open.

You have a bolt release lever on the right-hand side of the receiver? If so, can you use it manually to lock the bolt open (try this without the magazine in the gun, and with NO AMMO ANYWHERE AROUND)?
  3. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Found my own answer, On the Browning website I downloaded the BAR Safari II manual instead of the older one. Now that I have a copy of the original BAR manual I have my answer!
    The Hog Stalker is an FN just like my Winchester FNAR great guns but completely different
  4. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

So what was the answer then? I'm now confused as to which BAR you have (old, new).
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  5. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

My BAR is an early Belgium, before Japanese
    The answer is you must pull the bolt back
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Before Portuguese assembly of Belgian parts? BAR production isn't Japanese. ;-)

Anyway, now I understand. Thanks for the follow-up.
  7. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

The beginning of the BAR in the late 1960s was made in Belgium