Barrel contour measurement.

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by Bub381, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Bub381

Bub381 Copper BB

Is it measured across, (side to side) or around as in diameter? I need a stock built.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I would recommend calling whoever is making the stock and ask what measurements they need. Most places I have delt with will give you all that or request the stock to duplicate. Make sure you know if you're getting a rough cut or complete job. If a complete job than you should not have to measure anything.
  3. Bub381

Bub381 Copper BB

To be truthful i think i’ll just send it in to Browning and get my stock there. Was thinking Boyds but the hassle of it i don’t need. Thx for the reply. I appreciate it.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good choice.
  5. REP943

REP943 Copper BB

When it comes to barrel contour measurements for a custom stock, the measurement is typically taken around the barrel, as in diameter. This is because the stock needs to accommodate the entire circumference of the barrel, not just the side-to-side width.
    Here are some tips for measuring your barrel's contour:
    Use a caliper or micrometer to get the most accurate measurement.
    Take multiple measurements along the length of the barrel, as the contour may not be perfectly consistent from end to end.
    For tapered barrels, you'll want to provide the barrel diameter at the muzzle and at the point where the barrel meets the receiver, as well as the taper length.
    If you're unsure about any of the measurements, it's always a good idea to consult with the stockmaker or gunsmith who will be building your stock. They can help you get the right measurements and ensure a proper fit.