Bad mags?

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Ebacon, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Ebacon

Ebacon Copper BB

I have had a 90smodel hp in 9mm for many years, bought it new, a few years ago it started giving me trouble.. First, it would not load /cycle properly, I changed extractor and spring, then I blamed wwb ammo despite never having issues in the past. Then the slide would not lock back on an empty mag, I blamed it on a bad mag, and put the gun away. This has always gnawed at me.... I even took it to a local gunsmith -frank at f&d - who charged 350.00 to tell me it needed cleaning :-/

Recently I bought some wwb, dug out some mags I purchased new with the gun but never used and headed to the range..... No feed issues this time, but the slide still isn't locking. also I sometimes find it difficult to pull the hammer back.

I can't help but suspect there is something else wrong, maybe the main spring, as I seem to have ruled everything else out. It should be noted this all started when I took off the factory hammer for a brownells loop hammer......
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the Browning Owners community!! Have you put the stock hammer back in? and does it still have the issue with the stock hammer?
  3. Ebacon

Ebacon Copper BB

No but I did try it to manually work action with keeper from my .40 hi power and it worked, so I guess that's the culprit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

yea, sounds like it. let us know how it turns out.
  5. Over 90% of problems with semi auto pistols, FTF, FTE etc, can be blamed on their magazines.
    Steve
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  6. wwb ammo?
    Steve