Baby Browning problem

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by Tim_B, Aug 4, 2023.

1. Tim_B

Tim_B Copper BB

Hi, and thanks for adding me to the forum.

I have a baby browning I recently picked up, and it's having some feeding hiccups.

Let me see if I can describe it. First, I'll say that it has done it both with the old style mag that came with it, and with a new PSA mag, with the rounded follower. Also, it's done it with 5 different brands of ammo (all fmj). If pressed to guess, I would say it's done it a little more with the old mag, and a little more with winchester white box ammo than with the other ammo brands, or with the new mag. But honestly, that may just be my imagination.

I have been able to make it through a full magazine without it happening, but I definitely havent made it through 2 mags without seeing the same malfunction. With that being said, here's what it does:

A round will partially feed into the barrel, but the rear of the cartridge will still be in the magazine, with the top of the cartridge blocked from moving up far enough to feed the rest of the way into the chamber (at least part of the time by the greatly protruding firing pin).

When this happens, probably 50% of the time, I will not be able to pull the slide all the way to the rear, in order to get the striker to the cocked position, in order to get the round to feed the rest of the way into the chamber. When this happens, I'm forced to hold the slide back as far as I can, push the safety up into the disassembly position, twist the barrel, then slide the slide off, and the barrel forward, so I can remove the cartridge. Once that is done, I reassemble the pistol, and it will fire normally for several shots, then have the same malfunction.

In trying to analyze things, i noticed that the firing pin will slip past what feels like a slightly tighter spot in the channel it rides in, allowing the pin to extend way farther through the bolt face than I've ever seen on any other firearm. I've been shooting since about 1972, and I've seen quite a few firearms in that time. I took a picture of the firing pin protruding so far through the bolt face, and sent it to someone at PSA, hoping they might be willing to help out, even though my Baby is a Browning from 1960. Their response surprised me. They said it's normal for the firing pin to protrude that far. Is this correct in the experience of folks on this forum? I mean, that just doesnt seem safe, because the only thing that forces the striker/firing pin far enough back to catch on the sear is the primer of the round feeding into the chamber!

When I have the firearm disassembled, and I go to put the striker assembly back into the channel it rides in, I can feel one tight spot near the rear of the channel, which is mentioned in assembly instructions I've found, but then as I push the striker further forward, it reaches the point where a normal amount of the firing pin protrudes from the bolt face, and at that point I can feel another tight spot in the channel, as if maybe that is where the striker may be supposed to stop, but if i continue to apply forward pressure to the spring, the striker/firing pin pushes past that point and the firing pin protrudes probably 3/16ths of an inch or more through the face of the bolt. Maybe as much as a quarter inch. So, regardless of the statement by someone at PSA, this just doesnt seem normal. Can anyone here verify that it's normal, or tell me it's not?

Beyond that, has anyone else experienced similar feeding problems, and what did you end up doing to correct it?

Here's an image of how far the firing pin protrudes:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir, the pistol folks will be along shortly. I'm confident someone will have guidance for you. Thanks for joining.
  3. Tim_B

Tim_B Copper BB

Thanks!!
  4. Tim_B

Tim_B Copper BB

Just bumping the thread, hoping someone who owns a Baby Browning might have some answers.
    KyBoB likes this.