A-5 Shell Ejection Issue

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by blb1120, Dec 30, 2016.

1. blb1120

blb1120 Copper BB

As stated in my introduction, I am by no means a shotgun genius so I hope that you all can bear with me. I tried to look through the first three pages of topics and didn't spot a similar issue so I hope I am not double posting.

I have a Belgium made Lightweight A-5 2-3/4", not sure on the year or where to identify it. So I have done a lot of searching for this issue (most forums I read dated 2009 or later) and have seem to get mixed reviews.

So to begin, I previously purchased the Remington Nitro Steel 2 Shot loads to go duck hunting a few weeks ago. Upon my outing the shells decided to eject about half way after every shot with the brass getting pinched. After this outing and being extremely frustrated I cleaned and oiled my gun. Upon my second outing the issue occurred again. I began to look up potential solutions and saw on another forum that the only loads these shotguns are not supposed to shoot are Remington's because they do not eject fully. Hoping this was the solution I purchased some Federal Ammunition 2-3/4 Steel 7 shot for Quail. The shotgun worked superb for all four hunts!

So this morning I went out to go duck hunting again, got some Federal Ammunition Steel 2-3/4" 4 Shot (they were out of 2) assuming they would eject seeing as they are the same brand. Well low and behold I got a one shot surprise again twice on the only 2 (solo) ducks we saw all morning.

What other forums said:
    Clean your gun its just dirty, which seemed to be the solution less than 25 % of the time.
    Adjust the friction rings. (Will inspect tomorrow when I clean gun)

So I have a few questions to go beyond what the typical answer was:
    Could my shotgun simply be that picky on what it's shooting? If so, any specific rounds that you all have found to be reliable?
    Could the cold weather in the mornings be affecting the shotguns operation?
    While I have the shotgun apart, should I look for anything else that could cause this issue?

Thank you in advance!
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Ben, welcome to the forum.

Without even seeing your gun, I can tell you for sure that it wasn't made in 2009. Production ended in 1998 after 95 years. FN made the Auto-5 in Belgium until 1978 but started shifting to Japan in '76. It's important to know where your barrel was made as Belgian barrels aren't approved for steel shot. Even the early Japanese barrels may bulge a barrel with steel. But if your gun has screw-in chokes you should be OK. If you tell me your SN I can date it for you.

I don't think the Remington ammo is causing your problems. As others have told you, the gun may be dirty, need lubrication, or have the friction pieces adjusted. Usually an Auto-5 with those problems will still cycle stout hunting loads. I have a gun that was only reliable with Federal ammunition-- until a friend noticed that the left extractor was broken.
  3. blb1120

blb1120 Copper BB

Rudolph31,

My shotgun has a fixed modified choke (**).

SN: 3G 23051

Thank you for the quick response. When I was researching about it many said it was fine to use the steel shot, just not Remingtons. So if I shouldn't be hunting with this gun that would be great to have cleared up! Also the storage unit that has the extensive gun cleaning supplies was locked so I have been unable to fully disassemble the shotgun, hopefully will be able to do that tonight. More information will come upon completing that.

Thanks!
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

1963 Light Twelve. As a Belgian Browning, it is not approved for steel shot. Some use it anyway, some say it's OK if the gun has been modified for screw-in chokes. If it were mine, I'd use one of the other nontoxic loads.

But first you've got to fix your reliability problem. I'd set it for light loads, put a few drops of motor oil on the mag tube and shoot some clays. If you can't fix it yourself I'd recommend Art's for a tune up.
  5. blb1120

blb1120 Copper BB

She's got a few years on me, heck even my dad! Thank you for letting me know all that. Ill switch over to Tungsten for future hunts.

Thank you again on the help, I'll be heading out tomorrow morning for a hunt provided I can get her cleaned and will update you on how she worked.
    Rudolph31 likes this.