81 year old getting it done

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes, but you can use as a starting point. Anything around 9000 psi will for sure cycle the a5
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What is actually happening when you fired the last shell? Bolt went to rear? Was empty easy to eject manually? That load should cycle.
    May be temp related. May want to try a hotter primer.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It felt like it ejected but didn’t. The empty stayed in the chamber. It ejected really easy. I think it’s close to working. Maybe a half a grain more will work. I just looked at BPI manual and they are fast. I’d like a 1250 FPS load
  4. Ranger6

Yea they are hot loads and don’t think their pressures are even close. I would try .5 and you should be good up to 1 grain with everything else the same.
  5. Ranger6

One other thought that came to mind. I had a similar issue and it was the ejector on the bolt causing the problem. Make sure it has a sharp edge. What’s your fired shell look like? Mine was slipping past the rim on cheddite hulls. Other hulls worked just fine. Replaced it and problem fixed.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Pretty sure the ejector is fine since it cycles the plastic Kent Gamebores just fine.

I just loaded up a small batch of new plastic Ched hulls trimmed to 65mm. I am using BPI data. I am going to try 20.5 grains of 20/28 with a SG16 wad with one ounce of nickel plated 5’s. Stack height is good and I got good crimps. Finally getting the hang of roll crimps.

This load should be around 1250-1275 FPS and 8500 PSI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Think I’m going to give up on the 1-1/8 ounce loads for now.

Do you guys think I can use the same Cheddite data on the paper hulls
  8. Ranger6

Looks good sir, that should cycle if it’s 8500 psi. I use 20/28 in 28 gauge, never tried it in 16. Send skeettx a message over on 16 gauge forum. He loads papers. He should be able to point you in the right direction.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Will do. Thanks for the tip
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The ‘39 continues to be go to. I didn’t miss a partridge today. The first rooster my dog pointed I missed all three shots. The 2nd and 3rd I connected on the first shot. Couldn’t find a third before I had to be home. Didn’t have time for field pics today.

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  11. Ranger6

Looks like some damn good eating.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Took my favorite out gun out today. Had to leave my oldest dog home, one more week and she should be ready to go again. Missed some easy shots today. I am struggling with straight away shots. I should have been done on my first walk but missed three in a row. It was nice to get out of the house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Ranger6

Justin very nice pictures. Glad you could get out for awhile. Straight away shots are the hardest, especially if the bird is going up. You may be shooting under them.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think you are right. I think I’m pulling my head off the stock too thinking the bird is dead before I pull the trigger
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  15. Ranger6

Ah, old habit of looking at your handy work before it’s finished. That’s a hard one to break sometimes. I do the same thing. You know your gonna miss before you shoot and still pull the trigger. I kick myself every time. I swear to never do it again, but I do.