3 shot Stealth Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 27, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Probably paid too much for this but I have been wanting a 3 shot. I picked it up today and I’m happy with it even though it’s been modified. It’s been converted to 2-3/4” although the barrel extension doesn’t really show it. The ejector is the sliding type now. The ejection port has been lengthened and the forearm has been tweaked. The stock has also been shortened but I put a replacement on it already. It is super light. I am leaving work at noon tomorrow to go chase some roosters with it.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880738956
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think you got it for a great price — the seller didn’t know what he had.

Congratulations!
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You think I did ok? The barrel is neat because of the 5 holes. The metal is in good shape. The crack in the forearm will be easy to fix too
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not to shabby in my book. I bet those roosters will never know it’s 2 3/4. I started to look for one. Guy wanted way more for it then that. Matter of fact I offered the same price. I couldn’t tell exactly what was going on with it in the pictures. It did have a different barrel on it, numbers didn’t match.
    Good luck tomorrow. Shoot a few for me
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wish I could shoot your limit too. I’m going to wear the GoPro tomorrow so maybe I can post a video or two
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That would be cool. Hey go ahead. Tell the game warden I said it was ok.
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

Congratulations Justin,
    That is a nice rare Browning. The auto-5 production just before the second war are my favorite. The quality of the inletting and the color of the walnut were just perfect. Which year is that beauty? As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a 3 shot 1939 in mint condition and it is to nice to go hunting with it.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Marc

It’s a 1938. I took it hunting today and it cycled everything I fed it. I shot a lot of shells because I couldn’t hit shit with it. I shot two partridge with my first two shots and then I missed way more pheasants than I care to admit. No glamour hunting photos today. My dogs weren’t that impressive and I was pissed at myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice gun and nice table made of walnut and white oak. I am going for geese this coming Friday. They forecast -10 Celsius (sorry guys, I don’t know what it is in Fahrenheit) early morning, it will be brutal. Hot coffee from the thermos will be a must.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Marc. You are slipping, the table is walnut and maple
  11. Ranger6

Nice work Justin. Remember any day in the field with a sweet auto 5 is way better then a day at work.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

Well, I am tempted to bet that it is Bur oak. Never seen maple with medullary rays. But you’re right I am almost sleeping. I am two ahead of you.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You are probably right. I bought a bunch of lumber from a coworker after his dad passed. I have no idea what some of it is. That board was labeled birds eye maple. It was very heavy and a bitch to work with. It tore out bad and it didn’t smell like oak.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

After further review pretty sure you are right Marc
  15. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

Win7stw that is a bargain. I wouid love to have a 3 shot. If you dont shoot it well, I know a place it could call home! All old guns are great to shoot, but I have a special place in my heart for all A5's, sweet 16's especially. Shoot it often and enjoy...
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Disassembled the 3 shot last night so I could take the parts to work and clean them in our ultrasonic. The previous owner must have thought it was an AR he was running it so wet. Anyway I thought the magazine spring retainer was interesting on this gun. I haven’t seeing one like this.
    [​IMG]
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like a combination spring retainer, plug, and weight. How much does it weigh?
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

1.2 ounces
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

And a shell will fit inside the retainer
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

But why would a 3-shot need a plug?