28 gauge reloading, good,bad, ugly and then Winchester

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Nov 13, 2020.

1. TomBitt

TomBitt .22LR

I have been looking for a 28 a loader so I can load my own. I could probably load for half the price, the only problem is the primers. The other day I put my 410 tubes in and shot 19-25 not bad with a 410.

I have had a couple people want to sell me their 28 ga loaders (MEC Grabber) for $375 plus shipping. I think that is pretty steep considering you can get a 12 ga 9000 for $300-$375 used and the 9000's are auto indexing. not in a big hurry yet so I have time to look.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Actually that’s not a bad price. The 28/410 always command a high price. You can look on eBay, the shipping is outrageous. In these times you just have to bite the bullet, most people wanna make that extra double buck. I did find 28 gauge shells for 12.99 so there out there, but for how long. You could always get a single stage( my favorite). You could buy the cheapest one you can find. Then buy a die kit for the gauge you wanna load for. Takes about 30 min to switch everything and get it adjusted. The 28 die kit will be around 100 bucks. The cheapest I have found is from Titan reloading.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ranger, this is an excellent post. Thank you for sharing your story of events on the skeet field. I made my 15yr old son read it word for word back to me so make sure he took it all in.
    Hopefully this post can be made a sticky as lot of time and experience gone into this
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thanks Auzzie,
    I have learned most of it by trial and error. Hopefully it will save someone some time and heartache. When I first started reloading there were no post about issues or what worked the best, the internet was not out there yet. Reloading is relaxing for me. Since I ask Ripjack13 to make a reloading section I figured I should contribute to it. My weekends lately have been filled with cheer and my daughter, but I will finish the next section with my favorite Winchester AA’s.
    With the ammo shortage and the prices, reloading is coming back. I am always looking for new hulls and different load data. I hope to do a section on all the gauges and as many hulls as I can.
    I will be adding a chronograph soon and sending some off for testing. Working on a 20 gauge load in monarch(academy) shell now and some brass 16 gauge shells.