1929 16ga woes

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Folks got 1929 16ga that has been neglected. Sit in safe for 40 years without being fired. Cleaned up, replaced normal springs and went to test fire. First issue it would fire first shot, 2nd shell dumped out bottom. Fired case did not fully eject and bolt normally closed on fold part of shell. I found the cartridge latch was very stiff to move like something was keeping it from moving. Torn down to find spring collapsed and burr on latch not letting it move. Fixed and retest- now 1st shell fires and ejects. 2nd shell fires and ejects, but third shell drops out bottom. Swore it was the carrier latch, so removed and bent according to service manual. Reinstalled and now 2nd shells drops out the bottom, but 3-5 function normally. I can make this happen 20 times in a row with manually cycling. Compared latch to another and it looks normal, not broken or damaged in any way I can see. Anyone have idea? What am I missing?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think you’ll have to replace the carrier latch.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yep I figured as much. Only so much bending you can do.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve previously posted about my attempt to bend a carrier latch into shape. I screwed it up so badly that even Art couldn’t undo it. He told me the trick was to put the front end in the vise and bend it from the rear. I tried that recently and it worked.
    Anatidae likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Funny you would say that. I compared the old to a new one, just to get an idea of what was going on. Well, that service manual isn't really clear, but once seeing both side by side it was obvious that the twisting motion needed to be bending motion on the rear. It takes a little bit of force also; I was being way to gentle with it. In the vise and bigger crescent wrench, bent it I would say 1/16 of an inch. Seems to have done the trick for now. More to follow. Manually cycling works like a champ.
  6. Ranger6

Well little update on the 1929. She runs like a champ. I think the major problem was the carrier latch. Run it hard today and not a single hick-up. Went through several doubles on report with a single and it performed flawlessly.
  7. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I'm impressed with your patience, persistence and tenacity!

Lord knows we've all been through hair-pulling exercises with our guns.

It's good to know we have 'back-up' for issues like this on this site. Thanks to helpful members!
    Ranger6 likes this.