1904 on Gun Broker

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

agree without some additional work if then at all. That crack is too bad. I might consider, but that rules it out for me.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The crack in the receiver is a relatively easy fix. A barrel might be problematic. ( I was unaware real early ones are different enough such that later barrels would not fit. What is the difference?
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

The barrel ramp and how the forearm fits is one thing. I went through hell with an additional barrel for my 1909. I finally found one. The ramp can be moved according to Art, but expensive.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think by Barrel Ramp you mean Barrel Extension. But they’re different on the very early guns. I would have thought by 1909 everything had been standardized.

The picture is of several barrels, the bottom being from my 1903.

[​IMG]
  6. Ranger6

Nah I mean barrel ramp, old ones are placed at different location on the barrel. That’s why Art said it would have to be moved.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK, the ramp that the barrel ring is connected to! I gotcha now!

[​IMG]
  8. Ranger6

Yep that's it, I went through 3 different barrels before I found one that would work. I sent Art lots of pictures and talked to him a bunch about it. He couldn't really give me an explanation of why. I guess another auto 5 mystery. Either way I remember there was like an inch difference. The one that finally worked was from an early 20's. The strange thing the first one was from the 20's also. It made no sense to me, but somewhere there were changes made.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I wonder if changing the forearm would have worked.
  10. Ranger6

Thats actually what made it work. I still had the first barrel which the forearm didn't help at all. On the 3rd barrel changing to the forearm that I got from Art it worked perfectly. The only difference I could come up with was the darn barrel ramp was in a different location. The other weird thing is it's a 2 9/16 chamber barrel, which it should be, like the others, but this one (one that works) has the sliding ejector, which it should have the fixed one. I was leery at first if it would cycle ok, but it does and don't miss a lick with 2 1/2 RST shells
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The auction ends in a couple of hours. Nice no one else had bid, I’m going to. I can’t see letting it go to waste.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, someone else did bid. Let me know if it was anyone here and I’ll back off.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, with 13 minutes to go, 2 guys are fighting over it. It’s up to $510.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SOLD! $510.02
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ranger,
    did the later 20’s barrel you eventually got to work in your 1909 have a notch in the barrel extension?
    Curious as Rudolph’s barrel images show the early one different with no notch in the extension.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Auzzie, here’s a list of those barrels.

From the bottom up are barrels from the 1903, a 1947, a 1924 16gauge, and a 1908 Remington Autoloading Shotgun (pre Model 11).
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks Rudolph, been looking at a barrel on a 1904 for sale here and has no notch but has ramp and ring. I guess a later 20’s barrel that happens to work just like Rangers setup
  18. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

By way did you end up the new owner.?
  19. Ranger6

Auzzie
    Here is the pic of the barrel that works on the 1909.

Attached Files:

20. Ranger6

And you can see the two different barrel rings. One on the right is original to 1909

Attached Files: