16ga lightened/prototype came back

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jta5er, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Came home today. Gun now shoots 2.5 with 2.5 non converted barrels and its 2.5” forend. Also shoots 2 3/4 with factory and converted barrels with 2 3/4 forend. I shot it 4 different ways with both size shells. I’m happy.
    recoil, Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That sure is sweet.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d say Cole did that thing justice. It looks great. I love the grain in the butt stock
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  4. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Original forend was marked xx11F for 22” full barrel I couldn’t read it until today in bright sun. I believe this may have been marked at FN? Oh forgot to mention there is a 3 in front of original serial number. Several 3s on gun in different places. Thought it might be 3rd prototype but no way to prove.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    recoil likes this.
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

The prewar 16ga’s
    [​IMG]
    recoil likes this.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Jimmy very nice sir, can we get a picture of the one art done next to the one Cole just finished. I am trying to decide if I like one job over the other or if I should try someone else.
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

[​IMG]
    recoil likes this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The bare feet are a nice touch. Artistic. Avant-garde even.
    recoil likes this.
  9. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Yep was barefoot drinking one of those brown ales I picked up with the gun from your neck of the woods.
    The guns and the beer was about as artistic as it gets around here though. You have some great craft brews over there around St. Charles.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Bud Select for me. But then I’m an old fart.
  11. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I tried local brown and Scottish ales there, liked so much I booked a house during October fest. Early October fest.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

They are some fine looking firearms you have there. That early pre war case you have is certainly the part.
    Tell me in other images you posted you have a two barrel pre war case apart from this blue lined one above?
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Yep that 2 barrel case is 1930-31 special order 16ga case. I like the 2 barrel case to use. The single is a 1929 first year it’s more for display since it’s original and in ridiculous condition. I don’t think I would be able to ever let the first year case go. I sent a mostly destroyed first year special order 16ga case to antedae last week. Huey’s charges around 1500.00 to restore one. I was fortunate to find the 1929 single barrel since I was prepared to pay that. If you se a brown or black pre war browning case in usable condition I suggest you buy it. I certainly will.
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Unfortunately there be no such luck finding anything like yours as much as I would like too ......

I am told because of the remoteness and limited market opportunity those days the factory cases never found there way down under. The Browning dealer here then actually used to get their own version of A5 cases made locally and they are rare as. I was lucky enough to find decent one of them after lot of searching. Will post image later
  15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Please do, would be interesting to have a5 case thread. I do have couple odd cases made for a5s or breakdown pumps.
    One is mutton leg other is custom pigskin odd ball I bought to use as pattern.