1929 16g A5 - Heavily Engraved by Felix Funken

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by JohnA5UK, Jan 6, 2017.

1. JohnWebb

JohnWebb Copper BB

And I`m back , this 1929 A5 16g is still sitting on the rack of my UK gunshop , I`m thinking of selling it , any idea what its worth?

[​IMG]
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello John, and welcome back.

Your gun is a priceless one of a kind. I would put in in a high end auction. And I’d definitely try to contact Anthony Vanderlinden.

Good luck!
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

John,

I am assuming you are like most people and have a price in mind that you would let it go for. What do you think it’s worth?
    Auzzie likes this.
  4. JohnWebb

JohnWebb Copper BB

I get varying suggestions from a few thousand to ten's of thousands so it's difficult to price , I guess if I get an offer that sounds good to me on the day I'll let it go.
  5. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

John,

Sat on the shelf of your UK gunshop means it might be a section 2.
    Is it section 1 or has it been restricted to 3 shot to make it a section 2?
  6. JohnWebb

JohnWebb Copper BB

Its Sect2 , mag tube is crimped.
  7. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

John,
    Has has the gun been restricted to section 2. UK guns that get restricted to section 2 are often done via a crimp in the centre of the magazine tube. Unfortunately if this crimp is anywhere a friction ring runs then the gun will never cycle nicely, and when it does work it does so harshly.
    There is an alternative way to crimp the gun to section 2 that conforms to birmingham proof that doesn't affect the function of the gun cycling however.
  8. JohnWebb

JohnWebb Copper BB

This shotgun cycles perfectly , I`ve shot it a few times , zero issues , happy to demonstrate to any potential buyer.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I assume that the crimp in the mag tube is some crazy law over there. Anyone care to explain this? Maybe a picture of the crimp would be great.
  10. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

We generally have 2 licencing tiers here in the UK for gun ownership; section 1 and section 2.

Section 2 is the lowest level of gun ownership in the UK and is the easiest to obtain. Both levels of licencing must be renewed every 5 years and are subject to medical background checks. All guns in the UK must be stored in a locked cabinet attached to the structure of the property they are stored in. The police must know which guns you own at all times.
    Section 2 permits you to own shotguns with barrels greater than 24" in length. Section 2 shotguns that load from a magazine must load from a fixed magazine, with a restriction of 1 +2.
    Section 2 A5s in the UK all have magazines restricted to 2 shots only.

When the magazine restrictions came into force in 1990 the general method of restricting the gun was to place a crimp in the tube at the point just behind where the 2nd cartridge sits in the magazine, stopping the follower from moving further up the tube.
    As the friction rings are designing the grip the magazine tube for their entire movement the crimp can break this grip and the friction ring grabs, skips over the crimp, then grabs again. The crimp also causes very slight bulging of the metal around the crimp which can sometimes means that the crimp stops the friction rings all together.

Once a gun has been converted to section 2 it has to be inspected by our proof house. The method of restricting the magazine must be non-reversible and that gun is now designation as a section 2 shotgun.

Here's a photo of a Browning A5 tube with a crimp in it:
    https://southertonguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/766-FN-Browning-Auto-5-magazine-tube-2.jpg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thank you for the excellent explanation and picture on this.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

This is similar system to what we have operate like Down Under but with a few more extra twists of restrictiveness.
    A is rimfire lever / bolt or pump or a break action shotgun
    B is centrefire rifle bolt/ pump/lever max mag 9
    C is semi auto shotgun or pump restricted to medical reason/ 2 shots and range use only
    D is semi auto rifle restricted for vermin reduction special conditions licenced to a rural property.
    Some new firearms in bonded storage are modified by manufacturers with factory detent pressing in mag tube to limit to 2 shots as above
    JohnWebb likes this.
  13. JohnWebb

JohnWebb Copper BB

For anyone who`s interested in buying this and are in the US , I`ve had a shipping quote of £500.00 /$650.00 , the buyer would have to arrange with a US gunshop /FFL to take it in for them, and collect it from them.
  14. Martin Miller.

Martin Miller. Copper BB

John
    I'm new here and I'm wondering if this is still for sale?
  15. JohnWebb

JohnWebb Copper BB

Hi Martin

No , it has been sold .

Regards
  16. Martin Miller.

Martin Miller. Copper BB