1924 Browning Type??

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

Most A-5 browning replacement wood, stocks and forearms, need minor fitting.

Not unusual at all.

Do yourself a favor and seal the sanded wood with Tru-Oil or the like so it doesn't absorb water in damp conditions, swell then break!

Will
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, after a year of being my main shooter, the gun has had its first malfunction. I couldn’t get the bolt to close with the button. I’ve had that problem before with other guns and used my pocket knife to trip the carrier latch.

For some reason my current knife wouldn’t fit so I had to reach in and trip it with my finger. Fortunately my left hand didn’t slip off the operating handle. Once loaded the gun functioned normally.

I’ll try bending the latch a bit, but I suspect it will need replacing. The original lasted 99 years, should I complain to Browning?
    Auzzie and KyBoB like this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

After years of shooting and working on them, these guns still baffle me. I didn’t do anything to the shotgun, but I made sure I had a slimmer knife in my pocket to trip the latch. I didn’t need to; it fired 3 boxes of shells like it was made yesterday, not 99 years ago.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Are you feeding it the normal diet you usually do? I have some that like steak vs chicken. So far, the cheap Wally world federals seems to work in the majority.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

These were Federal. But it wasn’t ammunition related. The carrier latch button wouldn’t work to release the bolt, even with no ammo. It wouldn’t work, and then it did. Well, if it ain’t broke…
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

10-4. Keep us posted. Hopefully it doesn’t cost you a double. I would probably replace, I hate malfunctions. Guys usually give me a rash of crap.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Once a round is chambered and the bolt closed, it hasn’t malfunctioned. Closing the bolt was the problem.
  8. Bruski

Bruski .410

Could be one of those enduring mysteries.
    Temperature, a bit of dirt, what-have-you.
    Annoying though.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You may be right, though I can’t think how.