New to the Forum. Just Gifted a Browning A5 (I think) and know nothing. HELP.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by GJ Stedronsky, Jul 16, 2023.

1. GJ Stedronsky

GJ Stedronsky Copper BB

Greetings All. I suppose like most forums I’m in the wrong section but hopefully someone can redirect me. I was just gifted a Browning A-5 (I think it’s an A-5). After some internet searching I found this forum an believe it would be the most helpful to get info on what I have, where it came from, what I should do with it. Unfortunately non hunter. I attempted to load some rudimentary photos but seem to be missing forum permissions.
    Maybe, just maybe someone could DM me and I could ask some direct questions.
    I SINCERELY appreciate any and all help someone might be able to provide.

Sincerely,

GS
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho (formerly from the south side of Chicago) say Hi and welcome! You came to the right place for information about Browning shotguns! Good people here, zero drama. What's the serial number? It should be underneath in front of the opening where shells are loaded. That can get us started.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok folks these are posted for new member Mr. Stedronsky:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

5. Ranger6

So far we have come to the conclusion that its a 1950 12 ga. I can not make out the barrel code. I thought it was an "M" but after looking at it I'm not sure, it could be something else, because the M does not match 1950 in my records. So, someone help out please.
  6. Ranger6

7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I very clearly see the 1950 date code on the barrel. I think it’s called gamma and it looks a little like this: y.
  8. Ranger6

Ok I see the " Y" in the circle. What is the one under it that is underlined?
    [​IMG]
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Ranger6 likes this.
  10. murphranch

murphranch .410

You guys are the best contributors to this site. I always look forward to reading and learning from your posts. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.