Think Art could restore this?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Mar 26, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Recently bought a sweet sixteen minus the receiver. Found a receiver on GB. It’s pretty rough but the outside I would think should clean up. What are your guys thoughts? A marked Sweet Sixteen with the X prefix is up there on my want list

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928125891
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

It’s rough, but I think it’s doable. Won’t be cheap. Looks like you have competition. Wtf kind of screen name is that?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am hoping that it’s a millwright that works on turbines
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think you’ll spend more making a frankengun than a nice example would cost.

But if you can get that receiver as a parts gun for a reasonable price…. You won’t be able to resist spending another $1000.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You are correct. If I can get it cheap enough I will use it as my main hunting gun. That way I won’t be upset when it gets a scratch
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Based on what's visible---that's a relatively easy restoration.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Up to $52 already.
  8. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Just looked. It’s at $135 with 8 days left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I guess that's the end of that idea
  10. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

From what I’ve seen, GunBrokererer is a better place to sell than buy. Bargains are few.

11. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Now it’s up to $162. Add 30 for shipping, and since it’s a receiver it’ll have to go through FFL ( another 20-40 bucks ) and likely add tax depending on which state it winds up in. Not exactly cheap, but doable.