Early Auto Five serial no

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Auzzie, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi all,
    Would I be right in interpreting from S&V that a serial in early 14000’s would be 1904 ?
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes sir you would
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks for confirming that Rudolph. Know your somewhat knowledgeable on these old ones from your sticky on top

Stumbled onto old straight stock 12 ga up for sale Think it has been modified or played with as has wrong front trigger guard safety but the right straight thin trigger. Doesn’t have the model 11 type inside the guard as it shold
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

The sticky and detail up top been very useful. Even though barrel is old , plain and looks the part it’s got the cut out in the extension which also raises eyebrows to not being right.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks very helpful. Those drawings answer the puzzle . It has type 2 safety but not retrofitted for mag cutoff .
    I will keep digging.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s a very interesting gun you have, Auzzie. I’ve never seen a Type 2 safety.

You can see that modifications came rapidly in the first few years. But by 1909 the pattern was set, with few changes all the way to 1958. The curvature of the trigger changed a couple of times. And of course the cross bolt safety in 1951. But in ‘58 a lot of internal parts changed.
    KyBoB likes this.
  9. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Great info. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Read the info recommended on S.W Lots of good data got digested from there. Interestingly on this example the bolt punch hole is actually forward towards the cartridge stop which doesn’t fit the timeline but everything else inc serial does according to drawing. Possibly some intermingling of parts did happened in those very early years as Sauerfin eluded too.
    Obviously what I am learning is things are not quite clean cut when dealing with the early models.
    Rudolph31 likes this.