New Guy from the People's Republic of Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by ClemY, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ClemY

ClemY Copper BB

I am an old "new" living in MD. My background is that after graduating from the UofD, I went into the Marine Corps to fly. I got to fly the F-4. If you like to go fast, this is one way.
    After the service I went to work for the DoD, retiring in 2004. I then worked as a support contractor retiring for good in 2013. Now I have plenty of time to go to the range.
    I have been a shooter since grade school. I shot small bore rifle in high school and college, then moved into handgun silhouette, IPSC and CAS. These days I am shooting 3-gun in club matches. My shotgun is a 75 yr. old Remington Model 11, but I am in the processes of modifying an Auto 5 as well.
    Rudolph31 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Marine !!

Thank You for Your Service to Our Great Nation...

Enjoy our community.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Welcome to the forum!

What modifications are you making to your Auto-5?

Also, I used to go fast. Not as fast as a Phantom, but the food sure was better!

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. ClemY

ClemY Copper BB

The big iron. Never had the opportunity to try.
    The Model 11 has a 24" barrel, extended mag to give it 10+1 capacity, is threaded for Tru-choke removable chokes, and has an MMC rear sight with a ramp front sight. Shoots slugs and everything else very well. I am essentially duplicating it with a '89 vintage Auto 5. It has a 28" barrel with removable chokes. I got an extended mag for it and am bidding on a 24" slug barrel. If I get the barrel I will put an LPA rear sight on it. Makes it into a nice toy to play with.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Leland Craig

Leland Craig .22LR

Thank you for your service, and welcome. Hard to beat an A5 if it doesn't beat you first. :).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
  6. ClemY

ClemY Copper BB

I love my Model 11 and Auto 5. I am in the process of setting the A5 up for 3-gun. I am going to install removable choke tubes, a rear ghost ring sight, serrated ramp front sight and a +6 mag tube extension for a 10+1 capacity. I normally expect to use the IC choke, but being able to switch to a Mod to take hard set steel is important to me.
    Leland Craig likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I added a 3 round extension on one of my Auto-5’s for Bowling Pins. I have heard that since the mag can’t be secured to the moving barrel, more than this can be problematic.

Let us know how it works out for you.
  8. ClemY

ClemY Copper BB

I really need 10+1 mag capacity for the 3-gun club matches I shoot in. I have +6 Choate mag for my Remington Model 11 and a Nordic Components +6 mag for the Auto 5. Both seem stiff enough for competition, but I wouldn't want to go hand to hand with anyone with it, but I wouldn't want to do that with an M-16 either. The Nordic can be ordered from the company or Brownell's as a complete kit, or in pieces, so you can easily get longer or shorter tubes. They also make couplers to extend the mag much further. Anyway, mine are hanging in there ok for the moment. At the moment I am banging away on the pattern range having a good time with them.
    Rudolph31 likes this.